Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" or 1 1/4" resaw blade?

1" or 1 1/4" resaw blade?

I'm ordering a Laguna 18bx tomorrow along with a ResawKing blade. The saw is supposed to handle a 1 1/4" blade, but is there any advantage to using a 1" blade instead so the saw has some headroom and isn't at its limit? I currently have a Rikon 10-325 and I found that even though it was capable of using a 3/4" blade it did better with a 1/2".

Or is this a silly question, it's a different class of saw, just use the widest blade and be done with it.

Thanks for any insights.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

My opinion is that no one needs a 1" resaw blade, unless they do higher speed resawing every day. A 3/4" is more than stiff enough and does a wonderful job. It can be tensioned much easier than the larger blades.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-05-2020 at 11:58 AM.

I don't have the BX18 (almost but Grizzly offered a sale first) but I question how well it can handle a 1 1/4" blade. My Grizzly said it can also do a 1 1/4" blade but I went with a 1" just because I know I could properly tension it. Hopefully someone else who has a BX18 can confirm that it will do a 1 1/4" blade otherwise I would stick with a 1". I had no problems resawing with my 1" blade.

My saw can tension a 1-1/4" blade to over 25 ksi but I opted for a 1" and have no regrets. Wider blades will let you saw faster, assuming your saw can tension it, but the speed on the 1" Woodmaster CT is more than fast enough for my needs and the cut quality is excellent.

About a 3/4" blade being adequate; maybe, it depends upon how fast you want to cut. More important to me, you can't get a 1.3 tpi tooth count on a 3/4" blade. That was one reason I opted for the 1" blade. It's cheaper than a 3/4" x 2 tpi blade.

John

i have a mm16 and use the 1" resaw king - seems more than enough beam strength and don't really see the need for the 1.25 blade
    jerry
    jerry

Hello, a 3/4" would be the maximum width blade I would install on any sub 200kg bandsaw.
    The specs don't state what gauge thickness 1" blade you could theoretically install ...
    so that is a clue that these are wildly overstated claims.
    You risk damaging your machine by going over 3/4" IMO.

All the best
    Tom

Tom,

Thanks for passing on your concern. In this case the blade is made by Launa and the saw is a Laguna 18". I checked and the blade thickness is .024, so the saw should be ok with it.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Thank you all for your input. I'll mull it over this evening and try to make up my mind before I head to the woodworking store in the morning. Well, late morning. Being retired, late morning is the preferred start time for everything.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for passing on your concern. In this case the blade is made by Launa and the saw is a Laguna 18". I checked and the blade thickness is .024, so the saw should be ok with it.

Cliff
    At 186kg I would be concerned about an inch wide blade.
    Have you seen folks install one that's not a LagunaTM video?
    Surely some folks will be along soon, if its a new saw then you might have to wait until those honeymoon reviews are over.

Tom

Hello again Cliff
    This article might be some interesting reading if you want to go to the shop and query some specs.
    Fair enough the N440o is 170kg and its a WoodmasterCT blade, but I would call it a bit more than a rough estimate.

https://www.swedishwoodworking.com/a...n4400-bandsaw/

Do you really need that blade?

Tom

Been using the same 1" carbide blade on my 20" Agazanni for many years.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Considering the biggest commercial bandsaw blades were about 8" inches wide I think 1" is plenty. They had something like a 10' resaw capacity so they had some leverage to fight.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    I currently have a Rikon 10-325 and I found that even though it was capable of using a 3/4" blade it did better with a 1/2".

Or is this a silly question, it's a different class of saw, just use the widest blade and be done with it.
    I use a tension gauge to tension blades. I found that the tension indicators on most bandsaws were woefully inadequate and the saws could not properly tension the claimed largest blades. For example, Delta and Jet advertised 3/4" capacity on their older 14" saws which was likely to damage them if tensioned properly. Manufacturers apparently are fond of advertising inflated capacities to sell more saws. I am personally happy with 1/2" and 3/4" blades on my 18" Rikon.

I've used them both and found no advantage to the extra 1/4". Just more cost. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

In this case the blade is made by Launa and the saw is a Laguna 18".
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

NO WAY
    an 18bx is stout enough to properly tension a 1 1/4" carbide blade. NONE. In addition, the xtra 1/4" isn't likely to give you better results you can consistently see even if your saw could tension one that size. Which it can't. If Laguna tells you it can, they are misleading you.

But, you seem to have your heart set on a 1 1/4" blade so .......... Lot of guys here with tons of experience have told you you don't need 1 1/4" blade, but it's your saw and your money and time.