Thread: Delta 31-396 oscillating edge sander

Delta 31-396 oscillating edge sander

Has anyone any information on a Delta 31-396 oscillating edge sander. I've been offered one for $1500 but I can't find any info on its value. It seems to have been replaced by the 31-482. The machine is in like new condition.

I've seen a couple sell at auction in the $1000 to $2000 price range. Since you don't know much more than how it looks when buying at auction I would say if it's something you could use and you know the condition (I assume you can see it run) $1500 would be a good price. It's the type of thing that I would want to hear run just to make sure there's no issues with the oscillating action of the sander.

It runs like new. I know the owner, he thinks he bought it about 6 years ago. He bought 6 belts with it and still has 2 unopened

I'm sure others will say how it's a great deal and others who will say it's over priced. But you know the owner and it comes with some belts. I believe you could get most, if not all of your money back if you don't use it. If it was me and I had space and felt I would use it enough to justify it I would buy it for that price.

Sanders are one of those odd things for a shop. I have both a 26" drum sander and a 20" disc sander. I'm seriously thinking of adding a floor standing oscillating spindle sander. I have looked at oscillating belt sanders that allow the end roller to be used as a spindle sander but they don't quite fit what I need. They do take up a fair bit of room. Then I think a stroke sander would be a nice addition. Of all the different type of woodworking tools I didn't realize that it would be sanders that I would end up with the most variety of in my shop.

I have one that I bought used several years ago, it’s been a very good machine. It’s something that I didn’t realize how much I would use it until I had one. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one for $1500 if mine died. I think the 31-482 is a smaller machine with a 89” long belt.

I had this machine. Wish I had not sold it. Grizzly copied it. Where is it?
    I might want to buy it.

6 year old sanding belts will last about 15 seconds as the seam blows apart. So a sander with really long strips of sand paper is what you are looking at.