Thread: Air leak - framing nailer

Air leak - framing nailer

I have a Dewalt framing nailer — believe it or not sometimes I even use it for cabinetry. Haven’t used it in a while but pulled it out yesterday and it’s leaking air like a sieve right at the top where the nails exit. Any ideas?
    Bob C

Firing seal. I've never been in a Dewalt, but you can probably find a youtube video for the repair. Usually, firing valves/seals can be found on ebay, with free shipping.

Not clear, is it leaking at the bottom where nails shoot out or the top of the cylinder where the exhaust comes out.
    Bil lD.

I’d need to check to verify but I believe it’s leaking very close to where the nails come out.

Give it about a teaspoon of air tool oil in the inlet fitting, hook up air, cycle about a dozen times- sometimes it goes away- the oil helps keep the seal sealed. If that don't work, time for a teardown.

Will do. Thanks guys

The other high-probability cause could be a piece of trash, or insect. I keep little covers on all of my air tool inlets after getting a dirt dauber in one of them. It's little effort to pull the top off the gun to see if there is anything obvious. I have some guns 46 years old, and have never had an o-ring go bad, but have had a number of firing seals split.

Will do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Give it about a teaspoon of air tool oil in the inlet fitting, hook up air, cycle about a dozen times- sometimes it goes away- the oil helps keep the seal sealed. If that don't work, time for a teardown.
    This! And if this doesn't work you'll need a seal kit, but this works almost always. I put my guns away with oil in them and a cycle or two. A stitch in time...

Clearly, the only answer to your problem is to pick up a shiny, new rechargeable framing nailer.