Thread: Rebuild of Bridgewood 8” jointer question

Rebuild of Bridgewood 8” jointer question

I’ve torn down the jointer for a complete cleaning and rebuild. I’ve painted the base and will paint the sides of the jointer. Should I also paint the underside of the center support and both tables? If I do this I’m not sure of the best way to clean these? They are very large, so not an easy way to soak them.

What should I use to clean the minor rust from the cutterhead? Evaporust? I’d like to choose something that isn’t horrible for the environment.

Thanks

soak in EDTA and water which is a cheaper version of evaporust. just make sure it stays totally submerged to avoid high tide etching marks. EDTA is so safe that people eat it for their health. Not that I belive that it helps anything inside your body.
    Bill D

No real need to paint the unseen parts. I would scrub with a stiff brush to knock off any loose paint then brush on white paint. White, so it is not so dark under there. If a brush does not knock off the old paint it is attached good enough to stay since it is never going to be seen anyway. Do not get paint onto sliding surfaces.
    Bil lD

Thanks Bill. Very helpful