Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perspectives on potential table saw purchase

Thanks everyone. So much useful info. Andy Jones, especially appreciate the time you took to lay out all of those points to check on - wow! I am still awaiting a response from the seller on my initial set of questions, but will know to ask and check on those things in much more depth if it makes sense to keep pursuing this one. We are in no hurry to get something now and have time to keep looking for the best fit. I agree that the price point is too high. The 5 weeks listed definitely reflects that. To jump now and store everything until the Fall, it would have to be a great deal. I had been thinking of offering $1750 and if he is now motivated to move it, perhaps that could be worthwhile.

Regarding experience levels of users and the purpose of having the saw... A custom cabinet maker friend and my father, who is a long time, very skilled hobbyist furniture maker, are both coming from out of state to do the cabinetry, vanities, built-ins, etc. They both have Delta Unisaws and love them. So providing them the familiarity was a draw. We have been looking at Powermatic 66s (and even a 1000) and JET models that have come up on FB, too. The trim carpentry will be done by my husband and yes, will primarily be done with the Dewalt DWS780 sliding miter saw. My husband has built 2 houses from the foundation up and it's not his first rodeo. This time we are using a builder to get to dry-in as he's supposed to be enjoying a relaxed retirement rather than swinging a hammer and framing. The reason we'd like a table saw is that we will be ripping sheets of plywood for the cabinet carcasses. Just nice to have something easy to work with that is stable on the base and not too much vibration. We also happened upon an incredible deal on 540 board ft of cherry that was for sale on CL as part of an estate sale. There are 4/4 and 8/4 boards of quite a variety of widths, so will be looking to rip those. We have acquired an 8" jointer and a Dewalt planer, as well.

I grew up watching my Dad work in a fully outfitted workshop. My brother is now a carpenter. Having the right tool for the job is something we've been spoiled with in the family. I know we could get a contractor or hybrid saw and make do, but I have always been used to seeing a good quality cabinet saw and the merits of it. Since we don't need the tools to be portable from job site to job site, we can set everything up in the empty garages while completing construction and then keep or resell anything.

There is nothing we are absolutely set on and each listing will have its pros and cons. If it doesn't have an outfeed table, we could always build that out. If it doesn't have the router lift, we can always build a router table, which would be handy to have if we did resell the table saw. We'd love to have all of it in a dedicated shop, but unfortunately the separate outbuilding shop/garage got taken off the drawing board as just building the house and attached garages has already maxed out the budget! We live in a mountain resort area where even doing a substantial amount of the work ourselves, the cost per sq foot is $350 or more. Two of the bids from builders came in at over $475/sf (gulp!). That is vertical build cost, not land.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and thoughts on this purchase. You have given us a lot of valuable information to think on and we are grateful. It remains to be seen if it is the right one for us, but will use the knowledge to vet this one or any others we potentially look at.

Hopefully I am reading that correctly Jim and you avoided serious injury?
    I carried my portable Makita table saw into many dozens of newly constructed homes without incident. But it can happen to anyone at anytime. I was in the room when my brother in law took the very tip off one of his fingers with his portable table saw. He promptly fainted.
    Once transitioned into the shop I used my Dad's trusty old Delta Unisaw until funds became available to purchase a Sawstop. Aside from finger saving feature it is just a great saw that is a pleasure to use.