Thread: Struck oil using my Laguna SS24 spindle sander :-(

Angry Struck oil using my Laguna SS24 spindle sander :-(

Prosumer hobbyist here; purchased a new Laguna SS24 oscillating spindle sander in 2017. Have _maybe_ 20 hours on it since then...yesterday was sanding off some finish tabs from my CNC work when I heard a slight metallic noise, then the sander stopped moving but the motor continued on fine.

Shut it off, just started to investigate and WOAH - discovered oil seeping/pouring out of the cabinet. And not a little oil, but ALL of the oil (it turns out about 3 quarts) leaked out.

So started cleaning yesterday, finished today and got to investigating what the heck happened...it turns out the "connector" (which connects a pulley to the rotation shaft of the spindle) sheared off. And the part that remained was hollow, and it was immersed in the gear oil / in the tank, and thus exposed a clear opening from the oil tank to my basement floor. Manual here, part #11 on the exploded diagram if you're following along at home.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? I've emailed Laguna, and asked to replace not only the sheared off connector, but also all of the moving parts above the connector in case they were affected by the incident (I don't want to have to piecemeal replace parts as this is a PITA to service).

I'm hoping this is a non-issue with them (fingers crossed) but I think it has a 2 year warranty which I am out of; am starting to investigate if my credit card might extend my warranty coverage.

Anyone have experience with Laguna service? What do you think I should expect?

That sounds expensive. I wonder if a hollow shaft is too weak and flexes until fracture. It may be cheaper to buy a older different make that is time proven. Carefully consider that option before investing too much either way. I am not aware of any great changes in spindle sanders in the last 120 years besides the introduction ball bearings. please correct me if I am wrong.
    Bil lD

Talk to Laguna about it. Sometimes you’re just better off talking about these things rather than emailing, makes it more personal and maybe you’ll have better luck being out of warranty. Good companies will be happy to send out some parts and keep you as a happy customer.

Laguna had some horrible CS years ago but I think have regained some respect.

Good luck.

Call them for quicker response and explain what happened. Reference the part that broke via the diagram and see what they can do to remedy the problem. I have 3 of their machines and have had only minor problems, but they were quick to respond to calls to their service line.