Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I use bulb grease?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Back when bulb threads and lamp sockets were made of brass, I don't remember having much problem, but as has been said, everything today is made to a price. And we are paying it, in many ways.
    Bulb bases and sockets are mostly made of aluminum these days. The material is also a lighter gauge than the old brass sockets and bases. Aluminum expands more with heat than copper or brass. This and its reactivity with humidity and air can make it 'sticky' to another surface of similar material. Bulb grease helps to prevent the sticking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Way back in the 70's I was taking an electrical wiring course in the local tech school. An old-timer electrician (the instructor) gave us this tip. Wipe the side of your nose to pick up the facial oil and then wipe the oil on the base before you screw the bulb in. Still doing this today. You would be surprised on what a difference it makes.

Blog Entries
    +1 on using grease. I used to have a teeny little tub that I used for years. I somehow lost it and got a tube. But as we swap out incandescent lights for leds I don’t need it much.

I do find that there is sort of a break in period with leds during which I see some failure. If I get past three months or so, they last a long time. Case in point are my 4’ shop lights. During the first three months, I replaced about 20% of the fixtures. Haven’t had a single problem in the two years (or was it three?) since.