Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trash Pandas

Trash Pandas

I like to feed birds. I keep my sunflower seed on my deck in a galvanized steel trash can with a steel lid in order to keep squirrels and such out of it. Last year, the raccoons figured out how to pry the lid off. I secured it with a rubber bungee strap looped through the side handles and the handle on the lid. Now the damn raccoons have figured out all they need to do is chew it in half and they're in. They've done it twice this week. This morning we woke to a mama and baby 'coon feasting in the can. This time it's personal. I'm thinking a chain of some sort. Chew on that.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I had a neighbor who had a similar problem. He insulated the bottom of his can by placing it on a sheet of rubber. Then hooked an electric fence charger to it, and surprisingly solved his problem. He lives in the country so there was no issues with neighborhood kids and such. If you take this approach, make sure you check with authorities before doing so. Get one with a large enough jolt to really deter the little boogers. Oh, and by the way, put a large sign on it to remind your spouse and yourself that it may be plugged in.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Maybe swap out the bungee with a custom length of light steel cable. (Years ago the local Dollar Store had 3 ft lengths with snaps on both ends for $1. I wish I'd bought a dozen) Also, mix in a health dose of cayenne pepper to the seeds and maybe sprinkle it around the can. Birds don't have the taste buds that sense pepper and it is perfectly healthy for them but it deters raccoons and squirrels. If fact, they sell birdseed with the pepper already mixed it.

Blog Entries
    Who can't like these guys??
    20190913_081357.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    20190913_081357.jpg
    They're cute, especially the small ones. When I went to confront the two invaders this morning momma ran like a scalded cat but the small one rolled into a ball and tried to hide behind the seed scoop. He eventually realized the futility of it all and scampered off. I went to the hardware and got a length of chain and a couple operable links to attach to the handles. Any raccoon that could pry the lid off now belongs in a sci-fi movie.

Yes, When Ive ordered raccoons that's the way they were packed. Here's a tip, it would be a lot easier to find one that
    has run away if they were not ALL named "Bandit".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    20190913_081357.jpg
    Let me see...
    The guy who has to pick up their droppings every week before he can mow the lawn (I hate turd-patrol!)
    the neighbor who got them in his attic.

Only 7 or 8 (but the photos are from last year) not the 10 or 11 in your photo (If I found the right photo, dang thumbnails are pretty small)

WGI_0579 gif.jpgWGI_0153 gif.jpgWGI_0283 gif.jpg

Saw a pretty good size band go through the yard the other day, no photos though. I wish I could figure out how to redirect their route.

John

Nature's way of reducing their numbers is, of course, Alamo and Davy Crockett films. Almanac says we are over due
    for another re-make.

I keep pig feed in a galvanized can with a light chain, and over the last 17 summers of pigs I have not had it get opened yet. A bear could do it easily, but they're not common around here yet, though a few have been seen in the last few years.

Factoids I discovered after a racoon found a vulnerability in our chicken coop a few years ago and was unwise enough to come back the next night: 1) One of those cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarms will wake you up if a racoon walks in front of it. 2) A headlamp will not only make the critter's eyes glow, it will illuminate the sights on your rifle.

The chain was effective. So much so that the disappointment was manifested in a pile of raccoon crap. How thoughtful. I’ll let it dry out a bit prior to removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The chain was effective. So much so that the disappointment was manifested in a pile of raccoon crap. How thoughtful. I’ll let it dry out a bit prior to removing it.

Told you what they thought of your chain idea, didn't they. I'm in the electric fence charger group. Years ago, in a local town, the dogs started marking the wall of a the drug store. Owner put some hardware cloth on insulators on the wall, and made sure the side walk was wet. Hooked up charger, and in two days, no more dogs marking the wall. I had a customer that had a LARGE dog, that every day marked my tires as soon as I got out of the truck. Hooked fence charger to truck bumper, and in just a few moments he announced that he had found it. Slow learner as the next day he tried it again, but not on the third day. If allowed, a single strand of electric fence mounted about 12" off the ground will help train them.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-04-2020 at 9:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Told you what they thought of your chain idea, didn't they. I'm in the electric fence charger group. Years ago, in a local town, the dogs started marking the wall of a the drug store. Owner put some hardware cloth on insulators on the wall, and made sure the side walk was wet. Hooked up charger, and in two days, no more dogs marking the wall. I had a customer that had a LARGE dog, that every day marked my tires as soon as I got out of the truck. Hooked fence charger to truck bumper, and in just a few moments he announced that he had found it. Slow learner as the next day he tried it again, but not on the third day. If allowed, a single strand of electric fence mounted about 12" off the ground will help train them.
    I have lots of experience with electric fence from growing up on the farm. The chain is simple but effective.

My shop teacher in 8th grade had a cool hot rod. Whenever he parked it anywhere there were folks crawling all over it, and that bothered him. He electrified the body using a car battery and an old Model T coil. On the maiden voyage he was sitting in a coffee shop getting a bite and watching the car through the window. Some punk started a far too close inspection and was knocked on his butt. Mission accomplished? It seemed so until the kid picked up a big rock and bashed in the windshield.

They're cute and fun to watch, but in the end they have to go. They can be fairly destructive given an opportunity.
    Don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm in the .22LR, and #2/BB, camp to resolve them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    They're cute and fun to watch, but in the end they have to go. They can be fairly destructive given an opportunity.
    Don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm in the .22LR, and #2/BB, camp to resolve them.
    That's my next step. Shortly after my last post I went outside to check a live trap I'd set for a groundhog. It was full of raccoon. The trap was torn all to hell. I think I can fix it. I hope so since it cost me $60 two days ago. I was going to dispatch the little bugger with my .22 but my bride objected, so I let it go. That's her gimme. I love the wildlife, but I'm the apex predator around here.