Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trash Pandas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    That's my next step. Shortly after my last post I went outside to check a live trap I'd set for a groundhog. It was full of raccoon. The trap was torn all to hell. I think I can fix it. I hope so since it cost me $60 two days ago. I was going to dispatch the little bugger with my .22 but my bride objected, so I let it go. That's her gimme. I love the wildlife, but I'm the apex predator around here.
    In PA, it is illegal to relocate raccoons and skunks due to the potential of rabies. They do make a real mess of your live traps.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don’t know,

I tend to think we’re kinda in the animals way not them in ours. But I know that’s not a popular perspective.

I’d also tend to think logic would tell one that if they put out food to attract one animal they are smitten by, but it also attracts a animal they are not well then pretty simple solution.

Further pretty obvious maybe feeding the wildlife is not such a good idea.

And I have birds I like to watch, mostly on account of neighbors with bird feeders and a densely settle neighborhood. I also have a small water feature. As a result I get snakes, chip munks, rabbits, squirrels, skunks. I have some very expensive bonsai, like very expensive and they can create some serious damage and havoc. The birds poop on everything mostly my furniture Then I can’t sit out there, the chip monks are tunneling so bad my house will probably sink into the ground.

We also get coyote a few times a year, I have a dog, I love my dog more than people. People wanna eradicate the coyote. I’d prefer to remain cautious feeling we have encroached on their territory the poor things and more of a “us god dam humans”. Again how the hell can I love my dog so much then get mad at a coyote for being a coyote when I’ve left him no place to go. Again seems like logic.

But I see it this way, if I love nature so much as to love my garden the way I do, if i love my bonsai again a extension of nature, to be smitten by a beautiful bird but set out to attract them then get pissed when the rest of nature does something I don’t like well then seems the problem is me. Same with the coyote if I’m so threatened by it maybe I should change my habits to suit it not it to suit mine..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 07-05-2020 at 9:14 AM.

I’d rather peacefully coexist, but when they start crossing the line from mischievous to destructive I have to take a stand.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    My solution for raccoons was to stop feeding the cats outside and a few warning shots from a sling shot. It would sting them and they weren't so bold after that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I’d rather peacefully coexist, but when they start crossing the line from mischievous to destructive I have to take a stand.
    I doubt they view themselves as destructive. They will stay away if going there results in painful consequences or there's no good reason to go there, no food no warm shelter etc.

My cat pretty much lives in our screened in porch most of the year.

We feed him on the cat tree, so our dogs don't eat his food.

He's on the chair at 5 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I doubt they view themselves as destructive. They will stay away if going there results in painful consequences or there's no good reason to go there, no food no warm shelter etc.
    I doubt they view themselves at all. They're just doing what they do.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.