Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making countertop with 4\4 walnut

Making countertop with 4\4 walnut

I want to make a countertop with some 4\4 walnut I have and was going to use a domino to attach an edge on the front so it looks thicker. should I also use a plywood backing so it is more substantial? If so how should I attached the top to the plywood ?

You should never glue hardwood to plywood. One seasonally moves, the other doesn't. You can use wood screws through slots, but a lot of work.

Dominoes are totally unnecessary. The long grain joint will be plenty strong. I use a plywood substrate for tops built like this, but I don't use glue and very few screws. The solid wood needs to be able to expand and contract independent of the plywood.

Thank you for the advice !

Actually you can easily use a plywood substrate. Use the domino to make elongated holes in it and then you can screw it to underside of the walnut top while allowing for proper expansion.

Also dominoes aren't totally unnecessary for attaching your border. For strength, yes they're unnecessary. But for alignment they can prove very valuable. I domino a lot of glue-ups, not for strength, but for easy alignment purposes.

A solid wood countertop can certainly be done, but you have to understand the risk of 1) dealing with wood movement and 2) hot pots and wood don't do well together!

I really like johnny's suggestion!!
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 07-06-2020 at 2:57 PM.

Jason,

My daughter and son in law put in walnut countertops when they redid their kitchen. After a few years she isn't thrilled with how well they've held up. I understand they'll look really nice, but for how long. Walnut isn't the hardest wood and will show dings and scratches easily.

Just something to consider.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I think kitchens are in an era of too much emphasis on expensive materials and not enough on cheerful comfort. When
    inlaid laminate finally comes back it will blow out a lot of what we have now. And with CNC it would be so easy compared
    to what it took years ago.

You have to be someone that likes "character building" to appreciate wooden countertops. I like how wood takes on stains, dings, scratches, and burns. It adds warmth and life to a room.

The walnut is $7 a board foot so I think it will be less expensive than other options. I am trying to think of ways to do it myself and was considering wood or epoxy. We really like the look of walnut and I expect there will be dings and dents. I agree with Johnny that it just adds character

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Actually you can easily use a plywood substrate. Use the domino to make elongated holes in it and then you can screw it to underside of the walnut top while allowing for proper expansion.

Also dominoes aren't totally unnecessary for attaching your border. For strength, yes they're unnecessary. But for alignment they can prove very valuable. I domino a lot of glue-ups, not for strength, but for easy alignment purposes.
    that is a good idea. I like to look for other ways to use my domino.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post

That makes it useful.............but still unnecessary

Joiners got by for centuries without biscuit joiners, dominoes, and dowel jigs for making wooden tops. I've seen butcher blocks in Paris go for more money than many of you paid for your first car and they were worn out and made before electricity was even available.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    A solid wood countertop can certainly be done, but you have to understand the risk of 1) dealing with wood movement and 2) hot pots and wood don't do well together!

I really like johnny's suggestion!!
    I saw a possible solution to #2 for solid surface tops that should work for wooden counter tops as well. Inlet a stone or ceramic tile into the top so the tile is slightly proud of the top. Make it a design element. Maybe clear caulk if required so it doesn't collect dirt.

I saw a lot of upscale kitchens in the U.K. with solid wood countertops and they were mostly Teak. Far better properties than Walnut. Long after you've forgotten the difference you paid for a more suitable wood, you'll be glad you did.

The designs I saw had routed drainboards and ceramic where water was heavily used for vegetable cleaning, etc. A slight angle built in for drainage is also a necessary feature. Also, they didn't have our convention of extra thickness on the front edges.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

I think wood surfaces add a lot to a kitchen. Personally, i would stick with something innate and hard for my wet counters, but i dont know how you choose anything other than wood for an island. The aesthetic weight a wood island carries far outweighs any durability concerns. Frankly, if you spend a lot of time in your kitchen, i think anything less than end grain for your island is a missed opportunity. I see a lot of waterfall edge marble islands, and think to myself, how much more marble do you want in the kitchen? Marble counters, marble island, marble backsplash. They have no life or soul to the look and feel.

Trivets are the solution to hot pans and countertops. I have quartz counters and i still use trivets. Also, your pan needs to be screaming hot to burn most hardwoods. The only time i burned my end grain cutting board is when i initially seasoned a few vintage griswold cast iron skillets years ago. Didnt think anything of setting the skillets on my cutting board after taking them out of the oven for a quick wipe down with oil. 500° cast iron will leave a mark on cherry/ipe! Over the years anything around 400° doesnt leave any blemishes.