Thread: special winding sticks

1. special winding sticks

I can't insert the photos here but if you're interested and have an Instagram account you might want to look up Karl Holtey's "specially commissioned" winding sticks on his page.

Kind of hard to describe. But I'll bet you've never seen winding sticks like that...

Look to be made of Aluminum and Brass dovetailed together. The two pieces are screwed together when not in use.

Blog Entries
    Maybe if there was just too much money in my bank account a set of these might seem a good idea.

Personally part of being a woodworker is to be able to make one's own shop aids instead of paying someone else to make them.

Especially the easy items. They become a part of the learning experience of woodworking.

Winding Sticks.jpg

This pair took a couple of hours at most to build.

My plans are to build a shorter pair in the near future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Personally part of being a woodworker is to be able to make one's own shop aids instead of paying someone else to make them.
    Especially the easy items. They become a part of the learning experience of woodworking.
    I get it. But for me (as a beginner) being able to plane two winding sticks dead flat is beyond my ability (or well, I might be able to do it now, but not 6 months ago). And then there is the serious lack of shop time (2 jobs plus other hobbies). So I bought the Veritas aluminum winding sticks. I have to admit I really like the "stripes". It gives my eyes something more than just the top of the sticks as a reference. Then there is the fact that for the number of years I've owned tools, I seem always to be building jigs and things for my tools and not actually any of the end product I want (furniture). Now that I've got a bunch of new hand tools I'm doing it again (with the tool chest). But at least I like building the chest, whereas I hated the time sunk on making cross cut sleds and angle jigs and the other stuff for being a power tool only woodworker.

PS. That being said, I don't have an Instagram account and didn't see the OP's sticks. But the Veritas ones are budget friendly.
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 07-06-2020 at 12:34 AM.

I have a set of the veritas in my shop as well!

Blog Entries
    But for me (as a beginner) being able to plane two winding sticks dead flat is beyond my ability (or well, I might be able to do it now, but not 6 months ago).
    This is a common reply to the suggestion of making winding sticks. It is likely part of the problem since most people do not realize the easiest way to get two matching flat sticks is to make three.

It is explained here > https://www.scribd.com/document/5009...s-from-Scratch < The second page isn't necessary to finish the job but is available for free.

Also for a beginner it is a good learning experience on making edges straight for gluing. A little time spent on making winding sticks will likely pay off in much more time saved in the future.

Making my own mallets has taught me a lot more about mortise and tenon joinery than my store bought mallet could ever teach me.

Same with shooting boards and bench hooks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Karl's winding sticks were beautiful. When I started I bought a four foot length of angled aluminum, cut it in half, and painted a black stripe on the top of one. They work great

Winding sticks are one of the shop appliances we tend to put too much thought into. Full disclosure: I have a few shop made winding stick with inlays and all the bells and whistles. They are lovely to look at and use, I smile every time I pick 'em up but one of the best wood workers on the net, Richard Maguire aka The English Woodworker, will just pick up almost any two straight sticks of wood in his shop to use as winding sticks. What's important is understanding their use.

Pretty is nice but not necessary.

ken

I do the exact same thing. I can't be bothered with making shop ornaments.

Blog Entries
    Richard Maguire aka The English Woodworker, will just pick up almost any two straight sticks of wood in his shop to use as winding sticks. What's important is understanding their use.
    I do the exact same thing. I can't be bothered with making shop ornaments.
    Yes, understanding the use of any tool is more important than having a tool with a stunning appearance. Before my first set of winding sticks was made many other things sufficed to get the job done.

For me the making of shop appliances has almost always provided me with an education or better understandings of working wood.

jtk

I understand the reason for it and it makes sense. I just don't usually have the time for it. My small amount of shop time is too valuable to me. I may change my ways when I retire.