Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Finish

Cherry Finish

Hello,
    Looking for advice on applying finish to a small Cherry box. The predominate wood is cherry with Walnut accents. I am contemplating applying 1 or 2 coats of boiled linseed oil then following up with a beeswax finish once the boiled linseed oil is dry. I would appreciate advice if anyone has used this approach. Thanks, Jack

I'm sure it will be great. I mostly finish cherry with Arm R Seal. I just did some cutting boards for some crunchy granola types and did a first coat of pure tung oil then a beeswax/mineral oil blend. It looks wonderful.

For your application, that would be a great finish....somewhat traditional, even.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do not like BLO on cherry as it is prone to blotching. I would opt for shellac or rattle can lacquer, or just wax. My 2 cents.

John

Cherry and Walnut make a great combination. I'm a fan of natural finishes. The box below is natural Watco Danish oil and wax.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Watco Danish Oil has varnish in it. That isn't exactly "natural" but it looks nice.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I am leaning towards the BLO and then wax. I am concerned about the possibility of blotching of the cherry though. I am hoping for the best. I am wondering if I should go the shellac route.

Rob, The box I am making is similar to yours. The one I am making is cherry with a walnut frame for the lid. I hope it comes out as nice as yours.

jack, one way to do it is to melt the wax into warm BLO and apply the gel-like mixture. You have to use a double boiler technique so as not to set the oil on fire. This way, it gives a deep rich feel to the wood without the waxy surface. I always think of wax as a temporary surface coating, mostly rubbed off, not as a finish by itself.

When I've done some cherry boxes, I like to sand them way up to 1200-1500 grit or the max I can find, just to enhance that hand feel and reduce blotch opportunity.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 07-07-2020 at 2:47 PM.

Stan,
    Thanks for the advice. I may experiment with the technique you described. Jack

I'll second Stan's suggestion of sanding to finer grits. I read an article by Chris Becksvoort where he advocates doing so to reduce blotching. I don't go quite that fine but finer does make a difference.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Forgot to say, I use beeswax, bought from a local bee-keeper at the farmers market, to melt into the BLO. I've used paraffin wax for canning as well, even a chunk of ski wax. I'm not sure how softer canned wax would work, but probably OK.

I’ve had good luck with danish oil followed by wax. BLO is good, but can take a while to dry.

If using oil don’t sand past 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

If using oil don’t sand past 150.
    Just the opposite...an oil or oil and wax finish, especially on a close grained species like cherry and maple, will greatly benefit from sanding to even extreme fine abrasives. The finish will be silky smooth. I go to 600 or 800 for an oil finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim on this one, though my fingers tell me sanding to 220 is smooth enough for an oil finish or maybe I'm just lazy.