Thread: Gramercy Tools rasps and files?

Gramercy Tools rasps and files?

I'm thinking of purchasing several modeler files and cabinet maker's rasps from Tools for Working Wood. They are hand cut produced by Gramercy Tools. I have two Gramercy holdfasts I'm very pleased with. I know nothing about Gramercy rasps and files. If you have used Gramercy rasps or modeler files I would like your opinion of them. Thanks.

I have their saw maker’s rasp and use it for many curved projects. Excellent quality, works very well.

+1. I have several of the rasps. They work very well.

I have two of their rasps and they work as well as my Auriou rasp, and they are stainless steel...no worries about rust from sweat or dampness.....and it's a great company to deal with.......(I do like the Lie Nielsen handles better though, which can be bought or made)

I’ve got one of their cabinet maker’s rasps and it works very well for me. I just got one of their modeler’s rasps, but haven’t used it yet. It looks to be made just as well as the cabinet maker’s rasp.

The sawmakers rasp is really a kayak paddle makers rasp and it works great. I like it a lot.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have two Gramercy rasps and 1 Auriou rasp. IMO the Auriou rasp is on a different level in terms of cut quality and speed. The Gramercy rasps just aren't as sharp as the Auriou rasps and I don't believe they last as long as the Auriou rasps. That's not to say they aren't ok if you're on a bit of a budget.

I use an Auriou and wish I had bought it much sooner. No experience with the Gramercy model.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I guess I'm the odd man out. I have two Gramercy rasps and 1 Auriou rasp. IMO the Auriou rasp is on a different level in terms of cut quality and speed. The Gramercy rasps just aren't as sharp as the Auriou rasps and I don't believe they last as long as the Auriou rasps. That's not to say they aren't ok if you're on a bit of a budget.
    You're correct, but at half the cost... depending on how often you actually use the rasps...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut