Thread: Outdoor table out of cypress

Outdoor table out of cypress

I have extra cypress I want to build a table to sit between chairs like a night stand that has two drawers for storage. I have hats and shoes I use outside in the yard and I want to hide them in the bottom drawer. Normally on the sides I would use plywood set in the frame, but since I am using solid cypress I was thinking of ship lap design for the side panel inserts. My problem is this would be thicker than a normal plywood panel and my legs and stringers would have to be thicker to accommodate this. Looking for suggestions on how to use ship lap design and mill the panels down to say 1/2"? or so and then how to inset/attach them into thinner 3/4' legs and stringers?

Thanks for any help.

Brian
    Brian

You can plane those boards thinner than 1/2" and still shiplap then. Try 3/8" with 3/16" tongues.

As an alternative, you could also use 1/2" thick panels and cut 1/4" rabbets on the edges of the panel. Since the panels aren't structural, they don't need a full 1/2" groove in the frame.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-03-2020 at 1:53 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Put the "bark side " to the weather,or the weather will make a pop up razor blade-like surface.

If there’s going to be rain on this outdoor table, look out for water pooling in those drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    You can plane those boards thinner than 1/2" and still shiplap then. Try 3/8" with 3/16" tongues.

As an alternative, you could also use 1/2" thick panels and cut 1/4" rabbets on the edges of the panel. Since the panels aren't structural, they don't need a full 1/2" groove in the frame.
    Thanks Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Put the "bark side " to the weather,or the weather will make a pop up razor blade-like surface.
    Mel, it is a covered porch and I plan to stain and use spar urethane on them. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If there’s going to be rain on this outdoor table, look out for water pooling in those drawers.
    it's a covered patio. thanks brian
    Brian

Glue up and make raised panels.

Glue up and make the legs bigger for a better look.

Take Mel's advice re: 'bark side out' because varnish will only prolong the problem even in a covered porch. Daylight, humidity and temperature swings will not be denied their ravages.