Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum Veneering - Oil or Oilless Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jim, how is your oil consumption and oil discharge at the exhaust please?
    I have no clue if there's any oil at all...I've had the pump for at least a decade and a half. It was originally purchased for use at my lathe for using a vacuum chuck and I also have used it for veneering. More recently, I was trying it for some small, dedicated fixtures on the CNC. I'll actually have to crawl on the floor and look at it to see if there's anything related to oil.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-03-2020 at 1:03 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Jim, how is your oil consumption and oil discharge at the exhaust please?
    All the Gast pumps I've ever seen were oilless. But could be that they make a oiled pump.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike and Jim!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I can't imagine why one would mess with oil for either veneering or vacuum chuck applications. You don't need a high vacuum and oilless pumps work just fine. I've lived with literally hundreds of oil pumps for mass spectrometers and lyophilizers for many decades, they were all a pain in the patoot. For these low vac applications the oilless ones work perfectly at a fraction of the cost and maintenance, no contaminated oil to dispose of at exorbitant expense, without spewing oil mist all over the place.

Blog Entries
    Great input Roger and all. This is what I was looking for. Oilless it is.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Got an air compressor in the shop? If so, go over to Air Vac Engineering's web site and look at a venturi. They make some that use less than a cubic foot of air per minute, and pull all the vacuum you will need. Any air compressor (oil, oil less, or diaphram) that has a threaded inlet can be converted to be a vacuum pump. Even the AC compressor from a car. My first air compressor was built from a Borg Warner AC compressor. It had "Ford style" inlets which meant I could back seat the valve and us it as a vacuum pump for AC work.

Not having all kinds of experience with vacuum pumps other than one I use which is for HVAC I don't see problem either way. Either pump has no way that I can see to induce oil into bag. But again I don't have lot experience other than what works for me

I don't think there's an issue with stuff getting down to the work piece. Inline filters are used to stop foreign material/objects coming from the workpiece into the pump.

So far, my experience with a $50 oil pump, I get about 3 drops of oil, condensed on my exhaust rag, after after an hour of running.

Now the negative, if I didn't have that rag, draped over the pump exhaust, that mist would float around my shop and settle on surfaces.

dont see how oil could get to the bag if you are sucking air not pushing. Last time i used the vacuum bag I rebuilt some huge speakers. My pump has oil and an open filter never had a rag over it. Speakers were done in Automotive finish, there was zero pollution.