Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20-24" tersa head planer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    That’s good to hear joe about boards on edge.

My Felder AD 941 combo does great job of the same and as a result it’s just how I process material up. Those chests I have been building I run the salts through all the way down to the 3/8 thickness. The 1/4 ones I have to gang together. If a machine could not run small boards on edge it would be a real deal breaker for me as I’m so used to processing my material four sides.

It was actually Matt when I was in his shop that mentioned his Whitney not likening boards on edge. I was shocked with my only planer experience being a machine that could baring dare a say a 24” Grizzly I used for a year and half I just figured all players could do that.

What my planer can’t do is run multiple boards through at the same time without either hanging them up them firmly holding them together on the in and out feed side. If not one board feeds and the other stops till it spits one board out. Pretty annoying considering it should be able to do that. More annoying as it takes forever to process large amounts of material. Same stupid crap with the powermatic at work.

I was also talking with another Martin owner this week or last and he mentioned his outfeed roll being rubber and having had been replaced 2-3 times in the life of his machine and it costing like $600 a piece. He also suggested that the machine can be equipped with dual outfeed rolls.

I’m gonna be in for it when I buy one of these being I’ll want those dual rolls and the big infeed and outfeed tables. I’ll go tersa as I have spiral on the Felder. I’m torn, as it saves my ass so often and I’ve never even rotated the knives. But it does leave a terrible texture. I’ve never rotated as I fear something goes wrong and I need my machine for work and then I’m screwed. Tersa I don’t worry about that.
    Patrick, the dual outfeed would be a good option. I keep thinking to check into if it can be added later but have not done that yet. The rubber rolls wear faster if you do a lot of edge work and narrow pieces. When the rubber rolls get near the end of life you can get slippage on narrow pieces as well. I keep a spray bottle of waxlit to cure that problem.
    I really like carbide Tersa and running that on all. For most window work I like not to wide belt the sash and frame. Parts out of the planer and four sider are good enough for just a wipe with an orbital. Water base paints and film finishes adhere better to this than parts that have gone through the wide belt and less or no grain raising.

I have owned machines with straight, spiral & tersa. My clear choice would be tersa. Very easy to swap out different quality of knives & if you get a nick you can slide the knives to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    I have not done research personally regarding Tersa vs spiral. The local furniture making pro swears by Tersa. Said he would not buy another machine with out it.

I recently bought my first machine with a Tersa head (20'' Minimax J/P),and I like it a lot better than the Byrd cutters I have on my other machines.The biggest improvement I see,other than quick and easy knife changes,is machining edges.The byrd cutter does not edge plane very well,lot's of chip out.The Tersa does much better in my experience.If you do much width dimensioning on your planer,I would really consider that.

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this topic.
    I have never actually tried width dimensioning with a planer but will try that when the next opportunity arrives. I have been getting by with my Dad's Makita 2040 planer for the last 10 years. It does not like it when its fed more than one board at a time. Moving into a larger shop necessitating a new (or new to me) planer.