Thread: FYI:: Home Depot shiplap boards from Chile

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FYI:: Home Depot shiplap boards from Chile

FYI: I was at home depot the other day and I bought some damaged, 70% off, 1x8 shiplap boards that I will turn into 1x2 and 1x3 trim. I was surprised to see it came from Chile. I think it is pine but already sold primed. The sticker also said not recommended for outdoor use. I know they have been selling Montery pine plywood from China for several years now.
    When they first sold the pine plywood from China it was about 9 layers now it is five in the same thickness. Montery pine is unusual in that the branches grow only at set heights so it is possible to avoid that portion of the trunk and get knot free wood about 5 feet tall. it is similar that way to bamboo. I have also seen plywood from central America but no species listed.
    Bil lD

Is the ply you're thinking of Arauco? It got pretty good reviews for borg sourced plywood. I checked that site for sources and the 3 listed within 50 miles probably only sell to the trade.

https://na.arauco.com/en/c/products/ct-plwoo/br-arply
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-03-2020 at 9:04 AM.

The plywood was just no brand from china. For some reason the lumber is Latin named for Monterey pine. I know of no other lumber named this way. I suppose buyers might be turned off by "Quercus" lumber. Fabaceae sounds like fibeboard instead of expensive Koa wood. Juglans sounds like drunks use it instead of walnut.
    Bill D

The pre-primed fingerjoint stuff HD sells is usually Radiata Pine from Arauco. Unfortunately HD doesn’t seem to carry Arauco’s pine plywood anymore. Stuff was inexpensive and nicely made.