Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Harvey Woodworking table saw models

Thats a good point and for very similar saws at the same price i would pick Grizzly, especially since theyre semi local to me.

On a side note are the Ambassador and Alpha 2hp models really hybirds? They weigh as much as a Sawstop PCS which i don't see people call a hybrid.

Looks like this is a china based company: that takes it off the potential vendor list for me.
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 07-05-2020 at 6:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Looks like this is a china based company: that takes it off the potential vendor list for me.
    That will certainly leave an extremely limited number of choices.

Lots of choices from Taiwan (including Sawstop).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That will certainly leave an extremely limited number of choices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Lots of choices from Taiwan (including Sawstop).
    True. I haven't priced anything for ages. How is pricing of Taiwanese product compared to Chinese? Is the Taiwan stuff generally more up market?

I thought SawStop went to China. I'me pretty sure I saw a Made in China somewhere on the saw. It is a top notch machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrad Miller View Post
    ......On a side note are the Ambassador and Alpha 2hp models really hybirds? They weigh as much as a Sawstop PCS which i don't see people call a hybrid.
    I think the term "hybrid" is often used to describe a saw that has many of the same characteristics of the "cabinet" saw like a fully enclosed cabinet, table mounted trunnions, TEFC motor,and a riving knife system, etc but may not be as robust as the cabinet saw and the fence system is usually not the same as the full cabinet saw. The "hybrid" designation is usually based on the HP of the saw not on weight. Most are 1.75hp - 2hp while the full "cabinet" starts at 3hp. However, there may be some like the Shop Foc W1819 that has a 3hp motor but is classified as a "hybrid" saw. Why SS doesn't list their 1.75hp PCS as a "hybrid" saw is a company preference which I won't speculate on.

I'm not sure the term "hybrid saw" has ever really been defined, or at least I've never seen it. I thought the term meant fully enclosed cabinet but the trunnions mounted to the top, not the cabinet. Also able to run on 120 volts/dual voltage.

Blog Entries
    A hybrid saw is one where the trunions are hung from the table but the motor is housed within the cabinet. That is the most widely accepted definition. It has nothing to do with the motor HP or voltage, or the fence design. A hybrid will generally have lighter, lower end components than a cabinet saw though.

SawStop's 1.75 HP PCS is fully a cabinet saw. The only difference between it & the 3 HP saw is the size of the motor & some of the accessory options.

What Curt said is true. I don't think there is a definitive definition for a "hybrid" saw. Frank also made a point that it will have lighter components than a cabinet saw. However, the Craftsman that I had was designated as a "hybrid" saw by the manufacturer (Orion/Steel City) had a 1.75hp motor (110v/220v) housed inside the cabinet and cabinet mounted trunnions. The Grizzly G0833P I own (now the G0899) has a 2hp (110v/220v) enclosed motor and cabinet mounted trunnions and is designated by Grizzly as a "hybrid" saw. Apparently, manufacturers are the ones that determine if their saws are "hybrid" or cabinet based on the manufacturer's rubric.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrad Miller View Post
    My understanding is Harvey is a long time oem for Grizzly but now selling direct as well. and the C200-30 like your saying is essentialy a G0899
    Not sure about Grizz but they used to make saws for Laguna. Now they have started selling on their own. Not sure who makes Laguna table saws any more

Found a demo Sawstop PCS 1.75 with mobile base and no rails or fence for $1800 locally. That sound reasonable? Not sure what the rails and fence should subtract.

Sawstop sells the rip fence for $150 (T-glide), the 36" rails for $150 and the 52" rails for $200.

The 1.75Hp PCS with the mobility kit, 36" T-glide fence and no other accessories prices out to $2868 new direct from them. Shipping adds $250.

On the SS site the 36" rails are $150 and the T-Glide fence is $150. SO $1880 + $300 = $2100, $2150 if you want the 52" rails. New 1.75hp PCS with 36" rails and integrated mobile base is $2868 the same with 52" rails is $2968. You are going to need to see if it's worth it you.

Blog Entries
    Resale value on SawStop is quite high, so that demo price seems reasonable. I'd go for it myself, but only you can decide how shiney & new you want your saw. If you go new, a few months down the road it'll be the same as a demo. On the other hand, they sure are pretty just out of the box.

When mine was brand new, my grandson set a can of Coke on it, leaving a round stain. Not really a big deal though. I explained the rules about wet stuff on cast iron. Now I can't even remember where the stain is.

I went ahead and ordered the 2hp alpha. Hopefully will work well, should be a good upgrade from my older Jet contractor saw.