Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Harvey Woodworking table saw models

Update us with a review once you get it set up.

Well I got this the other day. Haven't had too much time with it yet but got it all put togethet with some initial impressions.

Shipped quick and was packaged well.
    Cast iron top looks good, miter slots show a lot pf machine marks.
    Cast extensiom table had a couple good scratches.

Right metal/wood extension table seems fine.

Cabinet stickers and labels are a little sloppy.

Took one piece of masking take on the bottom edge of the table to flatten out the cast extension, seems and edges line up pretty well.

Rails are very nice, have the best finish out of any of the parts.

Fence im still a little unsure on, it slides and locks down perfectly. I wish the aluminum high low portion had a 3rd locking knob there are 2 and both positioned on the front half. There is enough play you can set it touching the table or slightly above. The high low markers im not a fan of, the lainted lines on the plastic already arent perfecty sharp and slightly twisted. The locking knobs for the fine tuning dont tighten down with the H L letters straight.

Have not dived in to it real deep but everything looks very close to perfectly square out of the box.

The compass miter gauge is nice. I have not had this style with a fence so im not sure if its normal but it does have some ability to rock up and down on its long axis, it stays true with no movement at 90.

Enjoy your saw!. On my 2HP Grizzly I use Freud thin kerf rip blades and occasionally a full kerf one and it handles it well. The fence issue I resolved by getting the Uni-T-Fence from Peachtree - https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html.
    It works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    Enjoy your saw!. On my 2HP Grizzly I use Freud thin kerf rip blades and occasionally a full kerf one and it handles it well. The fence issue I resolved by getting the Uni-T-Fence from Peachtree - https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html.
    It works really well.
    Thanks for the link. That does look like a nice solution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    "A precision ground and hardened cast iron top... has a flatness of less than 0.0118"

Is it just me or does that seem like something NOT to advertise for a table saw lol. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really that great, considering how small the top is. That's almost 12 thou. I already consider anything above 8-10 thou to be pretty out of whack. I mean I know it's not a jointer bed, but still...

Apparently this is a pretty common number, I think it’s horrible but I’ve had one manufacturer quote me that number as their spec. They followed it with a typically guilty ‘you’re just working wood, right’ nonsense retort to my question.

Nevermind that my tablesaw and jointer tables are within .003 and .001” flatness respectively and the tables I’ve had flattened are better still. All of those are used ‘for working wood’.

My bandsaw table is a mile away from flat but one day I’ll probably get fed up enough to have it planed.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-06-2020 at 8:28 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hey Garrad - how’s the saw working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrad Miller View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the 2hp alpha. Hopefully will work well, should be a good upgrade from my older Jet contractor saw.

While looking for info on the Harvey G700, I found out they make other tools. Never heard of them before seeing a video on the G700.

Their Alpha HW1105S looks pretty impressive for the price. 4HP, overarm DC, and a pretty nice miter gauge. All for quite a bit less than the Unisaw I've been eyeing.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain