Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: New Harvey Woodworking table saw models

  1. #1

    New Harvey Woodworking table saw models

    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co...rice-ascending

    Looks like they just released some new models including what interests me most a $1595 2hp model with 31 1/2" deep table. Am i missing a saw or is that somewhat a class of its own?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    5,866
    A Unisaw or PM66 have 29” deep, so 31.5” is a tiny bit more, but I wouldn’t say a class of its own. A 12/14 type saw is a different class I’d say.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Posts
    1,652
    It's certainly a nice looking saw and is something I would consider buying. There are some well thought out features and if the table is as flat as they say it is I am in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    So. Fla
    Posts
    222
    Nice looking machines. The Ambassador C200-30 looks very similar to the Grizzly G0899. It has the same dual dust port system, the way the riving knife is attached (the plate that holds it down) the quick release system are almost identical, and the fence system are conceptually the same. I wonder if it's an offshoot of Grizzly or a clone. Not saying it's a bad saw because if it performs the same way as my G0833P (precursor to the G0899) it will make the owner very happy. The only thing I don't like about the Grizzly is the fence where I had to install a Uni-T fence from Peachtree to make it functional.

    Here's what the Grizzly looks like https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ng-Knife/G0899

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    Nice looking machines. The Ambassador C200-30 looks very similar to the Grizzly G0899. It has the same dual dust port system, the way the riving knife is attached (the plate that holds it down) the quick release system are almost identical, and the fence system are conceptually the same. I wonder if it's an offshoot of Grizzly or a clone. Not saying it's a bad saw because if it performs the same way as my G0833P (precursor to the G0899) it will make the owner very happy. The only thing I don't like about the Grizzly is the fence where I had to install a Uni-T fence from Peachtree to make it functional.

    Here's what the Grizzly looks like https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ng-Knife/G0899
    My understanding is Harvey is a long time oem for Grizzly but now selling direct as well. and the C200-30 like your saying is essentialy a G0899

  6. #6
    "A precision ground and hardened cast iron top... has a flatness of less than 0.0118"

    Is it just me or does that seem like something NOT to advertise for a table saw lol. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really that great, considering how small the top is. That's almost 12 thou. I already consider anything above 8-10 thou to be pretty out of whack. I mean I know it's not a jointer bed, but still...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    A Unisaw or PM66 have 29” deep, so 31.5” is a tiny bit more, but I wouldn’t say a class of its own. A 12/14 type saw is a different class I’d say.
    I cannot speak for PM66's, but my Unisaw, bought new in the early 90's, still has the original table which is 27" deep.

    -- Andy - Arlington TX

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tippecanoe County, IN
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    "A precision ground and hardened cast iron top... has a flatness of less than 0.0118"

    Is it just me or does that seem like something NOT to advertise for a table saw lol. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really that great, considering how small the top is. That's almost 12 thou. I already consider anything above 8-10 thou to be pretty out of whack. I mean I know it's not a jointer bed, but still...
    Sawstop specs .010" and is normally considered to be good build quality.

    Where did you find that spec?
    Beranek's Law:

    It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

  9. #9
    I like the idea of them packaging in a couple of accessories that most of us pay a lot for in the aftermarket world.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Sawstop specs .010" and is normally considered to be good build quality.

    Where did you find that spec?
    It was on their website when you click on a model and scroll through the specs.

  11. #11
    Was looking at these more. Been debating on pulling the trigger on that least expensive Alpha model due to a coupon code. Looking at the specs its only about 15lbs heavier than the base Ambassador. Looks like they made the table deeper but also narrower, there is not much cast iron right of the right miter slot. The 3hp Ambassador is $100 more and considerably heavier but without thw fancy miter gauge and as many features. Any opinions between those 2? Or a saw im missing that i could get for $1500 total range?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    So. Fla
    Posts
    222
    I think the 3hp Ambassador would be a better choice. More HP and a better fence system but only 30" rip capacity to the right. The 2hp Ambassador is still in the hybrid category although you get 36" rip capacity and the fancy miter gauge, but the lack of space to the right of the miter slot may be an issue.

    I would have bought this one had I had 220v capability when I got the G0833P. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...le-Saw/G1023RL

  13. #13
    The fence on the c300 does look like a more substantial tube but im not sure if its any better in practice. Do you know for sure based on that design? I know its similar to some others. I have looked at the 1023rl its on the very upper end of what um wanting to spend currently though. Can get c300 for less and they seem pretty comparable.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cambridge Vermont
    Posts
    800
    The real question is can you get parts for the saw down the road. They seam to be not an exact copy of the Powermatic or Delta. I don't think Harvey will go out of business but there's lots of competition so I wonder if they will stick with it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    So. Fla
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrad Miller View Post
    The fence on the c300 does look like a more substantial tube but im not sure if its any better in practice. Do you know for sure based on that design? I know its similar to some others. I have looked at the 1023rl its on the very upper end of what um wanting to spend currently though. Can get c300 for less and they seem pretty comparable.
    Can't say for sure on the fence but the Grizzly fence is, I think, the same as on the Shop Fox saws. But if was my decision, and it's not, I would opt for the 1023RL because it has a proven record and as Alex stated are parts going to be available if the Harvey venture doesn't pan out. This happened to me when Steel City (Orion made the saws for them and Craftsman) went under. I had the Craftsman hybrid and I couldn't get a replacement worm gear for the saw, even on ebay. Had to trash it and get the G0833P.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •