Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Entry Level Sliding Table Saw....HELP?

if you want the best stuff 4 x 8's then you get your panels made, or more specifically you buy cut to size. You give them a list of all your panel sizes and layout details and core and maybe choose the veneer, the veneer is laid up on the panels for you. There are number of places that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you get a program like CutListPlus, you can play with the optimization that also keeps in mind grain direction. Obviously, component size matters...as does sheet size. We often think of sheet goods in terms of 4'x8', but the "good stuff" is often slightly larger which helps for accounting for kerf width. Most of the veneer plywood I get from Industrial Plywood is about 48.5" wide and 96.5" long, give or take (plywood is made in metric size) for example. You also need to account for thickness when dimensioning parts if your exterior cabinet dimension needs to be something exact...plywood thickness is also metric but also slightly variable. Measure with a caliper in multiple locations if a finished case dimension is critical.
    Is Industrial Plywood a business with 2 locations in Pennsylvania? Gotta find a place like that near me in central wisconsin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    if you want the best stuff 4 x 8's then you get your panels made, or more specifically you buy cut to size. You give them a list of all your panel sizes and layout details and core and maybe choose the veneer, the veneer is laid up on the panels for you. There are number of places that do this.
    Sounds expensive, maybe i'll stumble on this during my plywood search.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    Is Industrial Plywood a business with 2 locations in Pennsylvania? Gotta find a place like that near me in central wisconsin.
    Yes. My deliveries come out of the Reading location. Great folks. Really nice material. And if a piece "sucks" for some reason, they replace it. Further, they deliver two days each week to my area, so if I book a project I can generally have material within a few days without having to run around to transport and lift it myself. The $300 minimum for free delivery ($11.50 fuel charge only) isn't very hard to make and if I need to in a rare case, I'll buy an extra piece of something I know I'll use to hit that mark, such as "close out" shop grade stuff/minor damaged pieces for utility, templates, etc. It would be unusual if you didn't have one or more firms in your general area that are "real" sheet goods suppliers. Talk to some local cabinet makers about who they buy from. Most will sell to individuals, but if you're faced with only choices that only sell to the trades, you can often work a deal with a local cabinet shop to have your needs added to their order for a small incentive, if you catch my drift.

Sounds expensive, maybe i'll stumble on this during my plywood search.
    Custom laid up veneer plywood is a staple for some architecturally driven projects so despite the cost for "custom", it fills an important role in the supply chain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i'll lay up my own veneer or use cut to size for best results. Sometimes pre veneered stuff from suppliers is not nice enough. You choose the details and layout rather than cutting your way out of sheets that can limit you. Panels are made slightly over size then you cut them to the finish size.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-08-2020 at 10:16 AM.

I've got a friend that's the sales manager for a local cabinet shop, I'll ask him who they buy through. I did some googling and found several options as well.

Have you guys heard of formwood. Com? A local plywood seller appears to use them for their non-laminate panels and resells them?

This local place has really good Google reviews.