Thread: Bamboo Ply Outdoor Finish Help...

Bamboo Ply Outdoor Finish Help...

I'm using the bamboo ply from Rockler, to make a shelf on my grill. I'm wondering what the best finish would be? It will be covered most of the time.

I don't see it on their website. Is it made with exterior glue? Best exterior finish is paint. Best clear finish is an exterior oil. A clear film exterior finish like spar varnish is harder to refinish when it cracks in a few years.

https://www.rockler.com/bamboo-lumber-by-the-piece. Says its good for cutting boards, bread boards, etc. It's laminated bamboo. At first I thought bamboo would be fine outdoors, with no finish at all, since it would be covered in weather, however it's laminated, so I didn't know. Could simply put a poly finish on it?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 07-02-2020 at 8:35 AM.

Derek, no dog in your fight except I'm curious to hear what others say as far as finish, since bamboo is technically a grass, not a wood. I have some laminated bamboo desktop accessories (monitor stand/pen caddy/etc.). From Amazon, straight from China I guess? Anyhow, the finish "feels" to me like a heavy-wipe poly but the odor is different. Not sure if that is the finish or the odor of whatever they are laminating the bamboo with. Maybe pick up an el-cheapo bamboo cutting board and try a few test spots with various finishes?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, I will likely do some test finish on some off cut pieces. I'm hoping poly will do ok out doors.

As far as I know, "poly" has no UV protection. But no idea what poly your are thinking about using. UV is the issue, added to huge swings in temp and humidity. Those add up to cracking in the film finish, which leads to moisture intrusion, which leads to the finish peeling as water gets under it. No idea about your cover, where you live, and amount of moisture it will see.

If you choose to put a finish on the bamboo material for this use case, it needs to be an exterior rated product, not a generic "poly". You want UV protection. As to the material itself, it may or may not have exterior rated adhesives when manufactured. That information would have to come from the source for that specific product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My experience with bamboo is it rots very fast outdoors if it is damp. Of course there are probably hundereds of spices and some are bound to be more rot resistant then others. I have never seen any bamboo, that was not rooted and alive, sold with any indication of species.
    Bil lD

I'm in NorCal. No real extremes in weather. Hot in the summer, rainy in the winter. The grill is covered all the time, but exposed to weather. At first, I thought about just leaving it unfinished. I may end up doing that and see what happens. It's not crucial, cuz it's just a grill shelf. That said, it did cost around $70 for the boards, so...

If it's covered except when you use it my guess is it will be fine with no finish. I think bamboo cutting boards are glued with some kind of water impervious resin. If so, that should provide plenty of protection as long as you keep the sun off it.

John