Thread: Put your thinking caps on

Put your thinking caps on

Here is the issue... First this is happening on the 60 watt Epilog mini helix machine.
    First file of the day (after power up) that is sent the etching, engraving and cutting is off no matter how many times I cut that file (we have used multiple files). After the first file sent and cut and does not cut correctly we send a different file that one works perfect (so second file sent to laser cuts perfect). Now we resend the original first file and it cuts perfect.

What is seems is the first file sent after the machine is started gets scrambled somehow. I have changed the network cable and no change. I do not think it can be mechanical as it fails multiple times on the same file. So if I run 1 the original file 1 time or 5 times it is bad once a different file is sent it works fine then resend the original file and it works fine. I just tried running the original file (failed 2 times) resent original file still fails a different file has to be sent before the original one cuts right.

bad cut.jpg
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

At any point in the file handling is it ever put on a flash drive? They can and will at times corrupt a file, not every time but once in a while. I have had a flash drive one time that did that... after all its just a RAM memory storage.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    At any point in the file handling is it ever put on a flash drive? They can and will at times corrupt a file, not every time but once in a while. I have had a flash drive one time that did that... after all its just a RAM memory storage.
    No this is a network setup.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Add one more reason to my pile of reasons why I firmly believe computers should never never never EVER be allowed to drive cars on public highways.

that out of the way --

I have a few weird issues of my own, many I just live with. My only thought on your problem is that it COULD be that some piece of 'start' data or 'end of file' data is missing or corrupted from the first file sent. Could be on the computer side, could be on the machine side..? No clue. And it could be the second file somehow 'fixes' the problem for itself and all subsequent files. My advice, to save your sanity, and money - until something different happens, just adopt it as part of the normal routine, like having to choke the carburetor on a power washer. Send a dummy file, then act like nothing happened...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I was running a Beisse CNC we would run a start up file each day so we wouldn't have problems. Maybe you could just make a small file to run like just a square with 0 % laser

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I was running a Beisse CNC we would run a start up file each day so we wouldn't have problems. Maybe you could just make a small file to run like just a square with 0 % laser
    Well been on the phone with Epilog and they are next week going to go to the engineers with this. We did send the file 2 times then run it and it fixed it so that is our bandaid for now. But still real curious what it is.

Thank you all for your input
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Blog Entries
    IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH EPILOGS. Seems that it is VERY common for the first file to 'scramble' or skip part of the FIRST job of the day. Many folks will do a test run with empty bed at start of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH EPILOGS. Seems that it is VERY common for the first file to 'scramble' or skip part of the FIRST job of the day. Many folks will do a test run with empty bed at start of the day.
    Really never heard of this in the 10 years of owning 2 Epilogs hmmm. I just send the file twice let the first one load and resend problem solved. But being a known issue I question how known it is. Never read about it on any post and Epilog seemed to be very confused on the issue even the engineers don't know. So if you could provide more data on this well known issue that would be great for me. Thanks.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Sorry Craig but I have read about it on here also. Maybe a Search??
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You are not quite right about Epilogs 'scrambling' the first job of the day. What actually happens is that the tube often doesn't fire right off the bat after the machine has sat powered down for a sufficiently long time. Both of my Epilogs have exhibited this behavior, especially after sitting over the weekend, but sometimes the problem doesn't happen midweek after being used daily. And, the file isn't scrambled, the beam simply doesn't fire right away, taking anywhere from a fraction of a second to maybe 45 seconds (that's the worst I've ever seen, but usually more like 1 to 6 seconds). I just watch the first engraving job after hitting GO and press STOP the instant I see the beam. No need to resend or send any other file; simply press RESET and GO again, and Bob's your uncle. (If the first job is a vector rather than raster, I also pop the lid open when I see the beam because otherwise the beam won't stop until the end of the current vector.)

There's a significant difference between the 'delayed firing' of a cold RF laser (which many of us are familiar with) and Craig's issue, which is: the first job sent to his machine engraves in the wrong place!

Many RF machines (like my Gravograph's) have a 'tickle' function, which randomly fires the laser every so often to keep the laser warm and ready. My GCC, best I can tell, has no tickle function (there's no mention in the driver or instructions) and so if it sits idle for a couple of hours, even when 'on', it'll sometimes go thru a few second delay before firing.

Craig's issue is similar to one I've been dealing with for several years with my LS900, and my problem is due to corrupted controller memory or firmware. The issue: I can run the laser using Gravostyle or Corel. I have zero problems using Corel, but if I'm using Gravostyle, I CANNOT have any vector graphics involved, raster only..If I enter the Gravo laser driver menu with ANY vector graphics in the layout, EVEN IF they're not being sent to the laser, the driver goes bonkers once it sees its next vector command; the head will go someplace at random at FULL SPEED, stop, then move to the right, or down, at about 1" per minute, sometimes firing the laser, sometimes not. And the random starting place can be 2" from where it was, or 100 miles away, meaning the head will run full speed until it's limit and try to keep going, sounding like a machine-gun from hell until I shut the machine down. and it Will Not Vector Cut ever again, in Gravostyle OR Corel, until I uninstall then re-install the laser's driver. New firmware won't load, old firmware will load but the problem remains. $1200 estimate to fix. I just use Corel whenever possible and live with it

I'd bet a buck Craig's issue has similar roots, just some corrupt piece of data for whatever reason. And like my issue, the workaround is easy enough
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    There's a significant difference between the 'delayed firing' of a cold RF laser (which many of us are familiar with) and Craig's issue, which is: the first job sent to his machine engraves in the wrong place!
    Agree 100% and that's why I responded to John Lifer John Lifer's comment: "IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH EPILOGS. Seems that it is VERY common for the first file to 'scramble' or skip part of the FIRST job of the day." It _is_ common for Epilog's to 'skip part of the FIRST job of the day' (i.e., not actually fire the laser for a short while at the start of the first job), but not to "scramble" the first file or require it to be resent after a different file is sent. As you say, Craig's issue is different, and sounds similar to the one you describe.