Thread: Lee Nielsen honing guide on veritas plane irons and chisels?

Lee Nielsen honing guide on veritas plane irons and chisels?

I am interested in getting a Lee Nielsen honing guide for my Veritas PM11 plane irons and chisels. Before I buy it,I want to make sure it will work for my tools,I can't tell if the jaws are specifically designed for their tools or not.I would appreciate to hear some feedback from anyone who has experience using it on Veritas tools.

The LN guide works very well. I have both LN and Veritas guides, and use the LN on BU plane blades. It will work well on all plane blades and, I have no doubt, on the Veritas chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Max,

I use the LN guide on Veritas blades. It works fine except for the skew and mortise jaws.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I use the LN guide on Veritas PM V-11 bench chisels, and it woks fine down to the 1/4" one. I think they make a different set of jaws that will handle the narrowest chisels.

When you get it, make sure the screws holding the jaws are very tight. One of mine wasn't, and it took some fiddling before I could figure out why my honing was askew.

From the Lie Nielsen description of the honing guide: "We have designed these jaws for our blades and chisels, not other makers"

I own the LN guide and as others have said, it will work with other manufacturers tools but it may not. I think it has a lot to do with chisel side bevel thickness and angle and plane blade thickness.

One thing I have thought of, but have not tried is making my own jaws to fit the guide. It's on my to do list but not very high. I'm not a machinist, so I would try a dense hard wood first. The LN jaws are not cheap.

TonyC

Thanks for the input everyone,I will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Max,

I use the LN guide on Veritas blades. It works fine except for the skew and mortise jaws.

Cliff
    He's a student like you.