Thread: Four peachicks

Four peachicks

One of our peahens displayed her new babies today. She incubated four eggs for almost a month.

Kind of cute!

peachicks_four.jpg

They sure look tiny compared to her.

Cool! I showed my wife, her Mother raised those too so it brought back childhood memories. Her Mom had many varieties of chickens, quail, pheasants, ducks and peacocks. Oh and pigeons.

Jealous. I grew up on a hobby farm with lots of different critters. We had lots of different fowl. They were both fun to watch and great bug eaters.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    ... great bug eaters.
    I have 12-18 guineas running around most of the time, replacing on natural attrition.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have 12-18 guineas running around most of the time, replacing on natural attrition.

JKJ
    Guineas are nature’s best watchdog. A frog farts and they get all hysterical
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Guineas are nature’s best watchdog. A frog farts and they get all hysterical
    Several times I've heard a racket then saw a bunch guineas in a semicircle advancing on one of our cats until it retreated. They are protecting us nicely from the threat of cats.

But unlike the dogs they ignore a new person on the property so they might not great for alerting me to trespassers. And also unlike the dogs they are worthless in the middle of the night since they are all asleep high in a tree!

If anyone local wants guinea fowl let me know - I've hatched several hundred since I got the incubators last year. I give them to a friend who sells every one - who knew there was such a big demand? Some people want them for their reputation of tick eradication. And an acquaintance in Georgia said she's seen hers carrying baby copperhead snakes in their beaks. That seems like a plus.

JKJ