Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Website for Advice (pros/cons) on Benchtop CNC

Another new entry into this space is Onefinity. No belts. It hasn't shipped yet but there are videos on YouTube to give you an idea of where they are headed.

I have been investigating these entry level machines for a bit and I am impressed at the value. I was interested in the Mostly Printed CNC but decided it was too much of a project & too little tool for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Krieg View Post
    If you do consider the Shapeoko, also look at the Millright Mega V, at the same price point as the Shapeoko but a far more rigid and accurate machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Krieg View Post
    If you do consider the Shapeoko, also look at the Millright Mega V, at the same price point as the Shapeoko but a far more rigid and accurate machine.
    I am looking at the Millwright Mega V and so far liking what I am seeing except the long lead time but I can deal with that I guess. So many of the videos I have seen have been machining aluminum. Most of the others in that price range mention aluminum in passing.

The guy doing the videos of the assembly drives me batty not knowing the words and trying to sound educated. It was almost painful to me being a mechanical engineer. I know these are smaller companies but couldn't get it out of my head, like fingernails on a chaulkboard.. lol

I am surprised to hear hints the Shapeoko rated higher than the Shark.

That Onefinity CNC looks like a great little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    Another new entry into this space is Onefinity. No belts. It hasn't shipped yet but there are videos on YouTube to give you an idea of where they are headed.

I have been investigating these entry level machines for a bit and I am impressed at the value. I was interested in the Mostly Printed CNC but decided it was too much of a project & too little tool for me.
    Some already suggested the Onefinity. Not sure I want to be a early adopter although the info to date looks promising.

Not sure where they are at price point wise? Ball screws and more and still using a small router motor. Nothing to hold it together except the gantry, I am sure the user is expected to screw it down to some MDF base which will also secure the ends.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Not hints, screams. Most of the marketing campaigns for the new CNC machines in this space claim to be Shapeoko Killers. I have never seen any new machine positioned as a Shark Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post

I am surprised to hear hints the Shapeoko rated higher than the Shark.

Shapeoko rated higher than the Shark

The machines with belts are why I decided to build the Work Bee, screw driven direct drive and fairly heavy duty not a Camaster for sure but I have less than $2k invested and a control system I know,,.. Mach4 running on a made in USA controller PMDX and its USB not some kind of wireless POS hobby grade controller. I should have went with Warp9 ESS but the computer I was using when I started the project was a MacBook Pro with Parallels and I was not sure. Now its on a Intel NUC.

Just saw a camaster up for sale that is a pretty good price, $3000. https://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=10626

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Just saw a camaster up for sale that is a pretty good price, $3000. https://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=10626
    That won't last long!!

I would love to get a 2x3’ machine but don’t have the floor space to give up for one. Are there any creative ways to store one that you guys have seen? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    I would love to get a 2x3’ machine but don’t have the floor space to give up for one. Are there any creative ways to store one that you guys have seen? Thanks
    Mine is on wheels.

A 2x3 or 2x4 is (or 1000x1000, etc) is generally considered a benchtop machine. Because of the tolerances necessary, they are not generally something you can hang on the wall when they are not in use. Most folks mount them to a surface that's either stationary or mobile, depending on their circumstances.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My 2’x3’ machine and the table I built for it pretty much takes up 1 bay in my garage shop. I had to sell my jointer & 15” planner to make room for it. Tradeoffs..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just learned about them

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have a Sienci Long Mill, developed by two university students in Canada. It uses lead screws, not belts and is very rigid. The biggest may be too small for you, though. The cutting size is 30 x 30. You can always tile in Y to go as long as you want, though. Since you want to mount it to a bench top, keep in mind that the cutting size may be quite a bit smaller than the footprint. My table is 48 x 48. The smallest that the 30 x 30 can be mounted to is about 42 x 42. I imagine that not all machines need the same extra for their footprint.

This sounds like the kit for me. I just learned about them yesterday. I have used several machines before from $300 - $6000 range, and have an el cheap 3040. I think I am going to buy one. Most of my work is pretty small. So this sounds like an ideal machine. And the cost is right. Most of my works will be done in MDF. And as far as kits go it seem easier. Wish me luck! Nice to hear some one here has one.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt