Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving shop to larger space

Dan,

Nice catch! These are relatively rare machines; where did you find yours? I just picked up an S50 a month or so back after looking for one for a few years. Fellow forum member Jeff Duncan also has had one for several years.

I started a thread about it when I acquired mine that’s in the General Woodworking sub forum with a bit of information. Data is hard to find online about them, but a fellow S50 owner on OWWM scanned his copy of the owner’s manual that is available for download on my thread about the machine on OWWM or I’d be happy to email you the scanned manual.

Congrats on the new soon to be new shop space. It’s a few years off for me at a minimum, but I dream of moving into a shop with plenty of space, natural light and tall ceilings. One of these years!
    Still waters run deep.

Thank you Phillip. I will accept the manual offer. We bought Jeff's. Very excited to get into the new space. Did you view the photos on mike's Instagram page? He really did a remarkable job with the renovation.
    We are real close to pulling the trigger on an old Martin slider. It would look awesome in that beautiful space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Thank you Phillip. I will accept the manual offer. We bought Jeff's. Very excited to get into the new space. Did you view the photos on mike's Instagram page? He really did a remarkable job with the renovation.
    We are real close to pulling the trigger on an old Martin slider. It would look awesome in that beautiful space.
    I just looked at the photos on IG. It’s a beautiful space! Excited for you as it sounds like a great opportunity and lovely environment to be in. That would be a dream come true for me to share a beautiful shop with an architect and fabricate custom work for his/her projects. You should post more photos of your work; I know I’m not the only one who would appreciate seeing it.
    Still waters run deep.

Thank you Phillip. It is very exciting to be moving into that space with Michael. Not only is he a very talented designer, builder and furniture maker, he is literally the nicest guy I know. I was a finish carpenter with an interest in cabinet making when mike convinced me I could make cabinets. The first one he asked me to make was for his own kitchen and it was fir. Not exactly the most forgiving material for my first attempt but gorgeous wood and I have been making his cabinets now for 10+ years. Thru the years Mike has had faith in me when I did not have faith in myself.
    While his website is still being finished and some photo links dont open yet, there are plenty of pics for viewing of my work on his site michaelgrafarchitect.com. The Middle, Madison, and Salter projects all feature cabinets that I had the pleasure to make.
    I sent you a PM with my email Phillip. Look forward to seeing the manual you offered.
    Thanks,
    Dan

That's some really fine design and work, Dan!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike is on his way to Long Island NY to pick up a Martin T75! So excited to see that beautiful saw in the new shop.

There is a Martin T75 in the shop! Holy crap that thing is built like a German tank.

great story, keep it coming 👍

Some pictures are in order !

I know how to build custom cabinets but have no clue how to post photos here. Search my associates Instagram Michael Graf Architect. He did upload a photo of the Martin.

Dan, there is a thread or two in the Forum Technical Support discussion area that details how to post photos.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Another great find. We bought a 1987 16" Northfield jointer today. It is 5hp, 3ph, 4 knife cutterhead. A beautiful machine in "exceptional" condition.

Update:
    The Martin slider is a joy to use. I wanted it for accurately sizing plywood which it does with precision. It also shines sizing doors. My tracksaw is going to get rusty.

It took a long time and I damn near had a nervous breakdown in the process, but I am finally making cabinets in this beautiful new space. The most recent piece is traditional in design and made of pine. It was an absolute joy to make. It can be viewed on Instagram at michaelgrafarchitect page.

In the main space with have a bench for Michael and one for myself, Martin slider, Sawstop, my grandfathers Dewalt RAS, Blum hinge boring machine, General double drum sander and a sharpening station.
    By the end of the year we hope to get a wide belt sander in here. Also to be purchased this year is a bandsaw and a drill press. Edge sander may not happen until next year.

Separated by a sliding door from the main space is another 25' x 16' space. Currently my router table, 5hp Powermatic shaper, 16" Northfield jointer, and a 20" SCM S50 planer are in there. Michael feels the jointer and planer were purchased in haste. He is so impressed with the build on the Martin Slider that he has decided to replace the jointer and planer with Martin machines. He has purchased a
    T44 24" planer and a T54 20" jointer. We are both so excited to have those in house very soon.

The Powermatic shaper was a last minute end of the year purchase that I made several years ago. Perhaps as many as six years ago. It has never been used. The Salisbury shop did not have the proper juice to make it spin. Also quite frankly, having never used a shaper, I am intimidated by the machine. I also quite enjoy my reliable router table. I have made hundreds of cabinet doors with it very comfortably.
    Thats it for now, got to make some saw dust.

So...are you going to entertain us with some photos of that new shop space? Wink, wink...nod, nod...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...