Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving shop to larger space

Moving shop to larger space

Hello to all you fine woodworkers and shop owners,<br>I have been making custom cabinets for 10 years in a 27' x 21' space that my Dad owns in Salisbury MA. The vast majority of the cabinets have been made for Michael Graf Architect + Builder. Michael has purchased a 40' x 100' building in Newmarket NH that was originally a blacksmith shop that had been operating as an autobody shop for the last 60 years or so. He has extensively and beautifully remodeled the building. His Architecture office is in the front of the building and woodworking shop in the rear. I have accepted his invitation to move my humble collection of machinery into his shop where I will continue to make cabinets for his clients.

Its a bittersweet move leaving behind my cozy little shop where I have had the luxury of working out of a building that is in my folks backyard. My mother, who passed away 3 years ago at the age of 92, grew up in this 1740's colonial home. Her uncle Roy built the garage where i stored my bicycle as a child that my Dad turned into a woodworking shop in the early 80's. He was in education but took up woodworking as a hobby and spent all his spare time in the shop building cabinets out of old pine boards that my mom would sell. My Dad is still going strong at 96. He no longer can safely use his machinery but is very active in the kitchen where he "builds" his own meals and baked goods. I will miss seeing him so often and the muffins and brownies he enjoys sharing. I can not however pass the opportunity to work out of a much larger space along side Michael who is a very talented furniture maker himself.

The main shop space is 40' x 34' with a very high, heavily insulated open truss ceiling. The entire building has new concrete floor with radiant heat, new lighting and windows. A big sliding door opens to a 25' x 16' space and an adjacent 25' x 13'.&nbsp; The main space will have a bench for Michael and one for myself and plenty of open space for assembly. Hopefully sooner rather than later a sliding table saw and wide belt sander will reside there. One wall will also have a 1940's Dewalt radial arm saw that belonged to my grandfather if my siblings will allow it. Otherwise a sliding miter saw of some sort will need to be purchased for cutting face frame and door parts to length. The 25x16 space will have one or two cabinet saws, 24" planer and a jointer, shaper and whatever else we can fit in there. Hinge boring machine and bandsaw may have to land in the main space. The 25x13 space has an overhead door to move things in and out. Dust collector, sheet goods and solid stock will reside there.

Thats my introduction. Thanks for allowing me to ramble. Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will provide a listing of current machines soon. Will have many questions as this moving process gets underway later this month.
    Thanks for your time,
    Dan

That's going to be a fine move for you, despite the loss of "immediate gratification" from your dad's kitchen.

With a large shop space, take advantage of it and create dedicated areas for matching, hand-tool work, assembly and finishing. It will make your and your partner's productivity go smoother. Just be sure to keep workflow in mind and work things out, both physically and positionally so there's the least amount of potential for conflict with space between you on a given day. You really need major league dust collection to be part of the equation, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,
    Yes dust collection upgrade is a must have. Currently have the Oneida V-3000 in my shop. We are thinking of using it in the new space and adding an additional sucker to be determined.

What would be an appropriate type and size dust collector for the space described? Is it recommended to have two (or 3?) smaller collectors so one giant system need not be turned on to collect from a single machine which will be the case most of the time? Not sure what is more practical and efficient.

My suggestion would be for you and your partner to have a discussion with Oneida around sizing to get their thoughts based on the tools and space you have and the fact that potentially more than one machine may be working concurrently. Commercial systems where there is more than one worker present have to be designed a little differently than any of us would require for working alone. There are also some potential compliance things that need to be adhered to for a commercial shop like that which don't come into play in a home-based shop or one where there is a single worker. Those could include both local and OSHA requirements. It's best to work with pros on this. I'm suggesting Oneida because you currently have one of their systems and I'm also a satisfied owner...and they only do dust collection.
    --

Will do. Thanks Jim

Hi Dan

It sounds like you are moving into a great space. I hope that you get settled quickly & have some making the switch.

I am right up the coast in southern Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Hello to all you fine woodworkers and shop owners,<br>I have been making custom cabinets for 10 years in a 27' x 21' space that my Dad owns in Salisbury MA. The vast majority of the cabinets have been made for Michael Graf Architect + Builder. Michael has purchased a 40' x 100' building in Newmarket NH that was originally a blacksmith shop that had been operating as an autobody shop for the last 60 years or so. He has extensively and beautifully remodeled the building. His Architecture office is in the front of the building and woodworking shop in the rear. I have accepted his invitation to move my humble collection of machinery into his shop where I will continue to make cabinets for his clients.

Its a bittersweet move leaving behind my cozy little shop where I have had the luxury of working out of a building that is in my folks backyard. My mother, who passed away 3 years ago at the age of 92, grew up in this 1740's colonial home. Her uncle Roy built the garage where i stored my bicycle as a child that my Dad turned into a woodworking shop in the early 80's. He was in education but took up woodworking as a hobby and spent all his spare time in the shop building cabinets out of old pine boards that my mom would sell. My Dad is still going strong at 96. He no longer can safely use his machinery but is very active in the kitchen where he "builds" his own meals and baked goods. I will miss seeing him so often and the muffins and brownies he enjoys sharing. I can not however pass the opportunity to work out of a much larger space along side Michael who is a very talented furniture maker himself.

The main shop space is 40' x 34' with a very high, heavily insulated open truss ceiling. The entire building has new concrete floor with radiant heat, new lighting and windows. A big sliding door opens to a 25' x 16' space and an adjacent 25' x 13'.&nbsp; The main space will have a bench for Michael and one for myself and plenty of open space for assembly. Hopefully sooner rather than later a sliding table saw and wide belt sander will reside there. One wall will also have a 1940's Dewalt radial arm saw that belonged to my grandfather if my siblings will allow it. Otherwise a sliding miter saw of some sort will need to be purchased for cutting face frame and door parts to length. The 25x16 space will have one or two cabinet saws, 24" planer and a jointer, shaper and whatever else we can fit in there. Hinge boring machine and bandsaw may have to land in the main space. The 25x13 space has an overhead door to move things in and out. Dust collector, sheet goods and solid stock will reside there.

Thats my introduction. Thanks for allowing me to ramble. Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will provide a listing of current machines soon. Will have many questions as this moving process gets underway later this month.
    Thanks for your time,
    Dan

Thanks Frank. I would be interested to know about your shop.
    Happy 4th of July
    Dan

Any opinions on the Felder RL200 dust collector? There is a used one in my neighborhood looking for a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Any opinions on the Felder RL200 dust collector? There is a used one in my neighborhood looking for a new home.
    There have been a number of discussions on that type of collector over the years. Some folks like them; some don't. Cleaning them appears to be a challenge if I'm not mistaken.
    --

More and better blast gates will save you from having to install bigger ductwork. Oversized ductwork is more prone to plugging. Also the collector and ductwork cost more. And it is harder to reconfigure.

Even if you have a great relationship with Michael it might be best to document who owns what and how the money will flow in the new setup.

Tom, how do you define "better blast gate"
    Thanks

I would also like to hear your rational about "more and better blast gates" vs duct work sized for the system, Tom.
    --

Good afternoon,
    My first post on this thread mentioned moving "later this month". That was July. Looking alot more like late september now. Thats ok as anything worth having is worth waiting for right?
    Been trying to make some used machine purchases and there are several on my radar:
    - Rockwell Model 18 planer or SCM S50 20" planer
    - 1977 single head 43" timesaver for short money that will need a new conveyor belt in the near future or a 37" double head Timesaver for considerably more money but appears to have fewer miles on it
    - A gorgeous Martin 8' slider (late 70's?) that may cost a small fortune to move unless I can figure a way to get it done myself
    -Belfab 4 bag 10HP 4,000 CFM dust collector or Dustechnology 3 bag 7.5 HP collector
    Question about those bag collectors. Why do they always appear to be covered in dust?
    Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Update, the SCM S50 planer is a done deal. That old iron is headed to NH!