Thread: Should I sell my Powermatic dust collector?

Should I sell my Powermatic dust collector?

I'm almost finished with my updated dust collection system and wondered if I should sell or keep my Powermatic PM1300 dust collector. All of my stationary machines are taken care of with my newer Oneida 3hp DC. The Powermatic takes up floor space but if there's still a use for it I'll manage to somehow make room.

I sold a 2 hp Delta ,one of the barrel top units after finishing my central system with a cyclone. I wish I had kept it ,it would have been perfect for a widebelt sander or my 20'' planer on it's own. I am a small commercial shop though. If you do not have a use like that ,selling it would give you more cash for something else and free floor space up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I sold a 2 hp Delta ,one of the barrel top units after finishing my central system with a cyclone. I wish I had kept it ,it would have been perfect for a widebelt sander or my 20'' planer on it's own. I am a small commercial shop though. If you do not have a use like that ,selling it would give you more cash for something else and free floor space up.
    The only machines not accounted for in the new system are small hand tools, which would probably be overkill for the Powermatic. I'm leaning in the direction of selling it at this point because of the floor space it would free up. The Powermatic worked well for me but I won't miss tripping over flexible hose or moving them from one machine to another.

Sell it! You’re better off with the space it isn’t taking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The only machines not accounted for in the new system are small hand tools, which would probably be overkill for the Powermatic.
    Overkill, no, because the DC will not work well with them at all because of the small ports. Dust collectors work differently than vacuums...they move large amounts of air at a given velocity which in turn moves the dust and chips. Since very little air can move from a small hand-held electric tool, a "shop vac" type device is the better choice for dust extraction with them. So I'd sell the PM DC, reclaim the space and put the money toward other things you may want or need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I too would sell it. I have been finding a use for an old 1HP Delta I have only because I bought a properly sized bag for it and couldn't get enough money for it to make it worth listing. I now have yet another bagger trying to weedle its way into my shop. I may try the blowers as exhaust fans for my spray booth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm convinced to letting it go. The reason for hesitating is that it served me well. But time to move on and the floor space it will free up will be welcome. Thanks all for helping me think clearly on this.

Keeping or selling the dust collector depends on what you do. What do you do? If you're not making mush dust, you don't need a lot of dust collection equipment.

I find it handy to have several dust collectors when running large moldings on a shaper. The spray goes in several different directions.

Yes, to me.

Unless maybe if you're thinking of getting a CNC router Id sell it. Freeing up the space would be worth it otherwise.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I'm convinced to letting it go. The reason for hesitating is that it served me well. But time to move on and the floor space it will free up will be welcome. Thanks all for helping me think clearly on this.
    Steve, the money and floor space could go towards a HEPA extractor for your small tools like a Festool or Fein unit.....Rod.