Thread: Carter Bandsaw quick release

Carter Bandsaw quick release

Installed the quick release a couple of months ago. Never thought it was worth the price but it was a gift. Now I know it is note worth the price. After 2 months of trying to figure out why the gears were always locking up I called Carter. Explained what was happening and was immediately told I had broken a gear and they would send me a repair kit for $45. I told them it was only 2 months old and this is when I found out it only has a 30 day warranty. I removed it from the BS took it apart and found none of the gears are broken. What I did find is the tolerance on the gears is so poor it is not surprising they become misaligned and lock up. I have a 14" Delta BS. This quick release is the model for this saw. There is a V groove in the top of the part which moves up and down. The tension rod on the Delta is beveled on the end but does not fit into the V groove. This adds to the movement problem which causes the gears to lock up. I gave up on the quick release and removed it from the BS.

Unfortunately this has not ended my problems. I am a retired mech. engr. and believed I understand how the BS works. I am not so sure now.

When I put everything back together I found a problem that is driving me nuts. When I turn the tension rod to increase tension the nut rises compressing the spring and moves the wheel up. I am using a 3/8" blade which was on the saw before the quick release and worked. The nut reaches the top of the threads in the rod and will not go any higher. The blade is no where close to having enough tension. How the heck is this possible?

Sounds like your saw blade is too long. verify required length.

Since you say it is the same blade, I don't think it is a blade issue. My old 14" Rockwell (made in Canada version of the Delta) has a good 5/8" of excess thread length with a 105" long 3/8" blade (I have a 6" riser installed). Is it possible your saw had a spacer on top of the spring that went missing when you installed the Carter release? Mine doesn't but maybe yours did. You could add a spacer. Is your spring totally compressed? Maybe your spring needs replacement.

I also have a 6" riser and use a 105" blade. I do not think I ever removed the nut and spring until this problem. I thought the treads on the tension rod might be the problem. When I saw where the threads stopped is when realized why the nut had stopped moving up.

If there was a spacer I sure missed it. I have posted this on a different site and your spacer thought is the best feedback I have seen. I actually made a spacer but placed it under the tension rod. I cut a one inch square piece of wood and drilled a small depression to hold the tension rod in place. Not very high tech but it works.

Tired of taking the BS apart right now but I wll place a spacer above the spring soon if I do find out exactly what has caused this problem.

I'd be concerned about a wooden spacer under the tension rod as it might split and you would instantly loose tension, metal would be better or a spacer above the spring (or between spring and nut) would be safer. Did you check the spring? Make sure it isn't fully compressed or broken.

You'll want to check the top wheel mounting hinged bracket. Those can crack and mess up the travel. Download a manual and make sure you have all the parts in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Keye Jones View Post
    When I put everything back together I found a problem that is driving me nuts. When I turn the tension rod to increase tension the nut rises compressing the spring and moves the wheel up. I am using a 3/8" blade which was on the saw before the quick release and worked. The nut reaches the top of the threads in the rod and will not go any higher. The blade is no where close to having enough tension. How the heck is this possible?
    I put a quick tension lever on my 14" Delta (with riser) almost 20 years ago but I'd have to look to see what brand. It's worked flawlessly (although I seldom use the saw after getting an 18" Rikon.)

I did have a problem with the Delta tensioning bracket deforming due to poor materials, causing the problem you mentioned. Maybe check and make sure yours is not bent. I fixed it with a stronger bracket sold by Iturra Design. I also bought their stronger tension spring. I check tension with a tension gauge.

You can call Louis Iturra on the phone and tell him the problem - he has always been incredibly helpful.