Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

29 Jun 2020

Greetings,
    I'm running behind schedule today due to the day job work and the LOML keeping me busy with stuff around the house. I made good progress on the new kitchen pantry that The LOML wanted. Assembled the primary case and couldn't fit it in the utility room where she wanted it. We decided to move the china cabinet into the utility room and put the new pantry in the kitchen/dining area. Got it all installed, but the shelves, put in the shelf brackets for adjustable shelves, and now I just need to make the 2 sliding doors and get them hung.
    The new Shelix cutter-head I got in from Byrd Tool came with bad bearings...so bad that I can't hear anything else in the shop except for the jointer when it's running. I ordered a new set of 6204 bearings that are supposed to be here on Thursday and I'll pull it all apart again and install the new bearings. I guess we'll see how it all goes.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis -- Glad to see your post. I was concerned. Sounds like the pantry project is coming right along. My pantry cabinet is actually made up of 4 separate cabinets as that was the only way to get it into the closet where it lives.

Not much going on in my shop right now as I'm doing the finishing on the hall table I built. Once I got the shop cleaned up to try to keep dust to a minimum, I vowed no woodworking until the finishing was complete.

Spent two days moving an 18' sunsetter awning from my sister-in-laws house to ours. It would have been a much quicker job if I had called in a bunch of buddies to help, but didn't want to do that in current circumstances. So I rented a genie cable lift, and rigged up a 20' long platform for it out of two 2x10x10's. The awning can't just be lifted in the center; the mounting tubes will bend so it has to be supported at least in the middle and the ends.

Had to make some extensions for the lift arms so the platform would be positioned out as far as the outriggers on the lift. That and gathering other tools and supplies took the first day. Loaded it all on my equipment trailer and headed over to SIL's the next day with my wife. Just rolling the genie lift into the back yard through the grass was a job since its wheels were made for rolling on concrete. I attached the platform, raised it up level with the mounting brackets, and levered the awning out of its brackets onto the platform. Strapped it onto the platform and lowered it down. Lowered one end onto a short stool and other onto a two wheel dolly laying down. Strapped that end to the dolly and then wife and I grabbed the other end and wheeled it out to the trailer. The awning weighs 140 lbs, and the 2x10 plus some 10' 2x4s added another 40 lbs, so we made quite a site I'm sure dragging it out to the street. Then we had to drag the lift back out; that thing is heavy by itself.

All in all, things went smoothly and according to plan. Only one oh-sh$t moment, when I realized the screws I used to fix the platform to the lift arm extensions were buried under the awning and the awning was now tightly fixed to the genie lift. Whipped out my hand saw and cut off the ends of the oak extensions to free the platform and all was well. Now to install it at my house...that's another plan for another day.

On the office project, I made a little progress on drawer boxes; more to do there. The weather turned nice here again today, so I planned to spray finish the last batch of cabinet boxes starting today. Alas, out power cut out again, second time in the last few weeks, and both times on glorious weather days. It was only off for maybe two hours but that was enough for me to decide to wait until tomorrow to spray.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

'Glad your pantry project is moving along, Dennis, even though it required a small change in plans.

Busy week for me...got window number two installed which means as soon as I can move Professor Dr. SWMBO's office from the room it's in to the room it will be, I can start with some additional improvements in the 250 year old portion of our home, replacing the floor and repairing some plaster that was water damaged. The remaining two new windows will go in at that point; the front right away and the back later in the work as I plan on using that window opening to bring in the material for the floor.

IMG_7823.jpg IMG_7824.jpg

I'm also nearing completion of a guitar that I build as a participant in the "Brotherhood Build" project at the TPDRI forums. I'm really liking this one...koa caps from the $2 a pound scrap bin at Hearne.

IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7812.jpg

Next project in the shop is a replacement door for our powder room...it's been planned for years, but not executed. This door replaces a thrown together board and batten thing that is the last remaining remnant of the dark brown pine that completely covered the kitchen and eating area when we moved into the property 20 years ago last November. It will be a normal two panel door with a little special addition relative to the top panel.

The other big thing was that yesterday was moving day for our older daughter...she's in her first apartment in town. The move went smoothly and there's just some unpacking remaining. And a big shopping trip to Tar-Zhey to get a bunch of things that are needed to complete the move (shower curtain, storage organization, etc.) as well as an initial supply of food staples. She'll be 25 in August and is a special needs adult (mental health) and this is a "YUGE" step for her.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Jim. Not just the guitar, but I have a weakness for stone walls. Stone walls and wooden sash windows. Mmmmm.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I completed a hall table for a good friend, who is moving into a new house. Done in a little over three weekends. Fun piece with an interesting drawer. The build is on the hand tool forum: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ransformations

Regards from Perth

Derek

I managed to get most of the work done on a Limbert table in cherry. Now just waiting for the top color to equalize and I can move on to some final touch ups, some minor sanding and finish.
    20200628_172234.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.