Thread: laguna 1836 swing away tailstock alignment problem

laguna 1836 swing away tailstock alignment problem

any suggestions on how to get it aligned-----there is always one side higher or lower----did anyone have to grind some for a smoothe transition---tks,joe

Should not be any alignment issues with those lathes. I would contact Laguna on this. Either your lathe's holes are not drilled properly, or the swing away isn't. i wouldn't do any grinding without calling them for warranty issues. If you grind, it may void everything.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Joe,
    I have that Lathe and extension and there are cams that are a part of the installation that adjust the alignment. Is that what you are referring to?
    here is a link to an install video for the extension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UXbs5GWk_4

Hmm, that video is 4 years old. I am wondering if they have 'new and improved' it since then. Interesting set up. One thing I noticed was that the lamp mount/arm was over the bed of the lathe when the tailstock was pivoted out of the way. It does look like the extension mounts close enough to dead on that you can use it for turning. I like the one on my Vic 240 with the pivoting headstock. They use a horizontal bar for lining it up, which has it spot on. I did notice Christian, the proprietor of Woodworker's Emporium, fine tuning it with a file. That type of mount would do for the pivot away lathes. Not sure what could be done for the pivot away mount like on the Robust lathes.

robo hippy

Reed,
    You are right about the YouTube date. I bought my Laguna 18/36 about a year and a half ago. I bought the extension about 7-8 months ago and those roller cams were on it. They worked to perfection. I pushed the tailstock on it when I needed to turn some dowels on the bottom of 42" long balllusters for my daughter's staircase..
    The extension seemed to be very solid in that work.

Jim

no matter how they were adjusted one side would always be higher or lower---had a machinist friend try---same results---filing made it useable enough for me