Thread: Any experience with very large Cooper Bessemer engines?

Blog Entries

Any experience with very large Cooper Bessemer engines?

My father-in-law worked at a natural gas pumping station in central Kansas. The pumps were driven by natural gas engines made by Cooper Bessemer. The stats are really impressive:

-- Cylinder bore over 3'. He said that guys would take pistons home for coffee tables. That seems awfully heavy to me but he wasn't one to tell tall tales. He's one of the most honorable men I've ever met.
    -- He told me about welding a cracked cylinder. They drilled and threaded rods on each side of the crack and then welded for 3 days straight with two guys working.
    -- They used chain falls to move wrenches
    -- 16 cylinders, (I think)

Anyway, he gave me a valve that I still have and have turned into an umbrella stand. It weighs about 60lbs. The face is about 8" across and it stands about 26" high. The stem is about 2" in diameter and you can see where it got scored which is why he could let me have it.

I'm wondering if there is sodium in there. Anybody know?

I thought sodium filled valves only came out in the 1960's at least for cars. By then I would expect the engines to be gas turbines. Mercedes race cars used mercury filled valves by the 1930's
    Bil lD.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-29-2020 at 5:28 PM.

I think you are referring to an 'integral' compressor; the power pistons and the compressor pistons are intermingled on a common crank. Lots of the C-B integrals still in operation, and new ones being built. The one you describe the piston for was probably operating at only a few hundred RPM. I've been around similar ones you can hear the low freq 'thump' for 6-8 miles. Try sleeping on an off-shore platform with one running onboard. Never worked on the mechanicals, but have danced with the automation systems operating them.

No idea if your specific valves were using sodium cooling. Concept has been around since ~WWII (??) that I know of. Too many designs; too many options.

I read about them for a while, very cool, thanks.

Blog Entries
    My FIL took me on a tour. I remember the engines running but no thump. He was a plant supervisor back in the 50s and 60s so he lived in a house close by. My wife never mentioned any big noise.

I sure miss him. He may have been the best friend I’ve ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    My FIL

I sure miss him. He may have been the best friend I’ve ever had.
    Make sure his daughter sees this!!!