Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformations

Fantastic transformation. Rita must be over the moon with the end result: a beauty released from detention.

That's great Derek!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice transformation!!! Good work!1
    Jerry

I know that the width wasn't changed (harsh penalty indeed). But the splay and perhaps the depth reduction makes the table look wider.

Looking forward to the build details.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I know that the width wasn't changed (harsh penalty indeed). But the splay and perhaps the depth reduction makes the table look wider.

Looking forward to the build details.
    Clifford, that is exactly what was intended.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    Derek,

Please share how you cut the drawer front from the apron with virtually no kerf... What is this mad science?
    Same question here. How does it match so well?

Silly question perhaps, I'm assuming the piece had sentimental value and hence the transformation vs. just building a new one from scratch?
    Or still a time savings vs. starting from scratch?

Erich, there was not a lot of sentimental value, other than for Rita and myself knowing that her late husband had restored the table. We are old friends, and she knows the furniture in my home well (I have build most of it). I know the pieces she likes best. I did not run the design for this piece past her, but did get her permission to rebuilt it from scratch. I am awaiting her reaction this weekend when I visit her new home (for the first time) and present her with a house-warming gift.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am going to guess the front apron was ripped full length and then the drawer front crosscut out of the lower piece of the apron - but that was mighty fine workmanship if it was done that way. Executing the bejeezuz out of stuff once again.

Derek,

The thing that impresses me most with your work is your sense of scale and proportions. I am slowly learning that regardless of style, embellishments, accuracy, etc. THAT has the absolute most impact on the "likability" of a piece of furniture.

Nice work! Very instructive to see the before and after.

See, this is why I always ask myself, "What would Derek do?" when faced with a woodworking task.

Besides ripping the apron and then crosscutting the drawer front out of the "lower" section of the apron I bet (one 355mL Coca Cola) Derek had to also crosscut the upper apron, one blade width at each end so the two apron pieces would be the same length with optimum grain matching. It looks really really good from here.

Finishes

Somehow this area was forgotten, and of course it is important.

All surfaces were hand planed, and then finished in de-waxed Ubeaut Hard Shellac. This concentrated and thinned with denatured alcohol/methylated spirits.

This finish allows the figure to come through and, unlike an oil, does not darken the already dark Jarrah (which is what I wanted to avoid).

The top was, in addition, sanded with a ROS to 400 grit. Jarrah is an open-grain timber and the sanded Shellac doubled as a grain-filler, leaving a smoothed surface.

The next step was to rub in (and off) a water-based poly, from General Finishes, which does not darken or yellow with age. I rub thin coats on with microfibre cloths and then denib with 400 grit grey mesh ...

The final step is to wax (the top) with Howards Wax-N-Feed, which is a mix of beeswax and carnauba wax.

This produces a very soft, warm and natural finish.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well done, Derek. And of course the most important question is, does Rita love it. Something I guess you’ll know soon.