Thread: Oneida Bag Gripper. Is it working?

Oneida Bag Gripper. Is it working?

Recently got a very gently used super gorilla. Practically mint- there wasn't even dust in the filter. It came with a bag gripper which I wired up and it turns on and everything. Its hard for me to tell if its actually working. The bag doesn't seem to suck against the collection bin walls with much force. when I turn it on I can see the bag starting to create a suction but it seems to take FOREVER. Surely you can't be expected to wait 10 minutes for the air between the bag and the bin to evacuate. I have no reference to how they should work. Can anyone give me a baseline on what to expect from the gripper?

Are you talking about the little hose that runs from the inlet just under the impeller, down to the side or bottom of the collection barrel? Didn't know it was called a "bag gripper".

If so, there's not a lot of pressure difference between the two ends of that hose, so it can take a while to evacuate the air in the bin, outside of the bag. That can be exasperated if there are air leaks between the bin, outside of the bag, and the outside room air, since that little hose would have to suck more air to overcome the leak. A leak can be caused by a faulty gasket, or if the bag is bunched up in one place on the rim of the bin.

Otherwise, you do not have to wait until it has the bag completely sucked against the bin wall before you use the collector. Once you have some chips in there, the bag will stay expanded up against the bin wall better.

-- Andy - Arlington TX