Thread: Platter - Which choice would you make?

Platter - Which choice would you make?

Decided to use a rainy Saturday to dive into a stack of slabs I cut about 9 months ago. This is River Birch I rescued from a date with the log splitter. This slab has a strong crotch figure that I want to feature in a platter. I'm a newbie at turning so I started laying out circles to help me get a feel of the final look. There are 2 14" circles and 1 12" circle. You might have to zoom to see the penciled circles.

20200627_150700.jpg

My question to the experienced turners is this: Would you opt for a larger 14" platter with the feature off center or the smaller 12" platter with the feature more centered? I keep waffling back and forth, but I guess I'm leaning a bit to the smaller platter. Although I'm not thinking of selling the piece, I also wonder which choice might be the more desirable for a buyer, which might bring the better price.

Thanks for wisdom!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

That is nice looking figure. Since it is going to be off center in either size, and is more than half of the larger platter, I would go for the 14 inch platter. In my thoughts the only reason to consider the 12 inch circle is that it captures a bit more of the figure in the upper right of the photo, and that is very nice figure in that area. My advise would be to determine if you have a use for a 12 inch platter, or would a 14 inch get more use.

You might need to look at the other side also to see what the knots are doing. I would not like to have the knot close to the side if you want a wide rim. I would probably go with the 12" as shown or possibly try a 14" moved more to right to avoid the knot. The crotch figure will look good almost any where and I would not be too concerned if it is not centered. Slab thickness will also need to be taken into account looking at knot. You might consider adding a waste glue block to bottom to turn if slab is thin or even a contrast block to leave as a foot. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    You might need to look at the other side also to see what the knots are doing. I would not like to have the knot close to the side if you want a wide rim. I would probably go with the 12" as shown or possibly try a 14" moved more to right to avoid the knot. The crotch figure will look good almost any where and I would not be too concerned if it is not centered. Slab thickness will also need to be taken into account looking at knot. You might consider adding a waste glue block to bottom to turn if slab is thin or even a contrast block to leave as a foot. Have fun.
    Thanks Thomas. The knots go through but diminish in size. I was figuring a little epoxy to fill them should do it but agree to keep them away from the rim as much as possible. The slab is about 1 3/4" thick.

One thing I didn't realize until you asked about the knots is that on the opposite side the crotch figure expands to nearly the bottom of the slab. So as I turn deeper into the slab the crotch will grow and the 14" platter will capture more of it. Not sure why that didn't occur to me earlier.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    That is nice looking figure. Since it is going to be off center in either size, and is more than half of the larger platter, I would go for the 14 inch platter. In my thoughts the only reason to consider the 12 inch circle is that it captures a bit more of the figure in the upper right of the photo, and that is very nice figure in that area. My advise would be to determine if you have a use for a 12 inch platter, or would a 14 inch get more use.
    Thanks Paul. I actually have no planned use for the platter. I have 6 more slabs from that same tree that will likely all become platters. More than likely I'll keep one and give the others away.
    Brian

When you fill the knots with epoxy I hope you're going to tint or color the epoxy and not use it plain. On a light colored wood like that I think turquoise powder or something that color would look sharp and complement the crotch figure.

Why not leave it a natural edge and keep the whole piece? I have done several pieces like that and everyone loves them. No law says they have to be round. I would mark 3 or 4 diagonal line across the piece from point to point to find the center and turn out the platter leaving 3/8 to 1/2 inch lip at the narrowest rim

I would also go for the 14" platter. No need to have the feature in the middle of the platter. I try to use the rule of thirds that is used in photography... try not to put the main item in the picture (mushroom or flower, etc.) right in the middle of the picture but rather off to one side. Makes for a more interesting result.

It looks like the 14” circles extend beyond the near edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    Why not leave it a natural edge and keep the whole piece? I have done several pieces like that and everyone loves them. No law says they have to be round. I would mark 3 or 4 diagonal line across the piece from point to point to find the center and turn out the platter leaving 3/8 to 1/2 inch lip at the narrowest rim
    If going that route you can "pinpoint" the balance point by suspending the piece vertically held by a push pin on each side. I've also tried balancing horizontally on a single point, a dowel held in the bench vise. Turning balanced is sometimes helpful.

For filling voids my preference is to fill with chips and bark and such shaped by had to give a more natural look.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I would also go for the 14" platter. No need to have the feature in the middle of the platter. I try to use the rule of thirds that is used in photography... try not to put the main item in the picture (mushroom or flower, etc.) right in the middle of the picture but rather off to one side. Makes for a more interesting result.
    Interesting. I've not heard this before. Good food for thought. Thanks Barry!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    That never occurred to me. I will keep this mind. Would be quite a learning experience for me. Thanks Sam!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Interesting. I've not heard this before. Good food for thought. Thanks Barry!
    This might explain it better than I did... https://www.photoblog.com/learn/rule-of-thirds/

20200628_194707.jpgthis platter is approximate 13 x 9 spalted maple, SWMBO really likes it