Thread: Long fence for ripping big stuff

Blog Entries

Long fence for ripping big stuff

I like a large infeed on the fence when truing up long boards. This fence slips right over the stock fence and makes setup and removal easy. On the bottom of the fence is a hole exactly the size of my stock fence. The back of that is slightly beveled so it lines up quickly and drops right in. It works flawlessly. There is zero play in the fence, but no fuss to get it on and off.

Not really rocket science, but just sharing ideas. I like the “U” at the top, which holds pencils and push sticks well.
    Yes, I am making a lot of stuff now that the new shop is set up. Shop tour soon come.

41DB9DEB-5CB8-48FF-9F42-36E20795C29B.jpg

3D647578-259F-42CC-B343-1352AC1CAD4D.jpg

6B10A75D-5075-48E9-8FC1-9B76E360AEE3.jpgB856FF1B-B14A-4CBC-82F4-586FA837E5E1.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 06-28-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Something I always wish I had but am too lazy to make. Nicely done.

YEARS AGO, at The Woodworking Show, Jim Heavy of Wood Magazine showed a similar fence. He designed it so the fence was 1" thick. This way, measurement using tape on saw were off by exactly one inch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Something I always wish I had but am too lazy to make. Nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    YEARS AGO, at The Woodworking Show, Jim Heavy of Wood Magazine showed a similar fence. He designed it so the fence was 1" thick. This way, measurement using tape on saw were off by exactly one inch.
    I actually thought of this, but I almost never use the tape on the fence because I seem to always be trying to meet some unachievable level of perfection, and my fence has a 1/32” thick line that just kind of suggests what the fence is set at. ;-) Also, like Prashun above, I was too lazy to do that. <<< real reason.

I like it. I also like a longer fence, and ordered a 4-5' long extrusion from 80/20 to fit over my VSCT bies fence. This is on a 12-14" saw that has 38-40" of table depth

I like that idea! I'd like to also add additional "table space" on the infeed side to help with long boards and with wide sheet goods.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I like the way you made it to drop on.

At my old day job we had a 3" x 4" x 20' aluminum extrusion we could clamp to the stock fence for straightening crooked boards and sheets. It was a bit cumbersome but worked.

Then we got a full size sliding table saw. I think the fence extension is still hanging on the wall gathering dust.

I also like a long I feed fence that ends at the blade for ripping solid stock...Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I also like a long I feed fence that ends at the blade for ripping solid stock...Rod
    This is one of my favorite things about the unifence.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Very nicely done!

I made one similar many years ago that is long gone now. I made mine so that it could be bolted to a threaded hole in the T fence. Then at the VERY end of the infeed side of the extended fence I put a 6" x 6" x 3/4" piece of ply on the bottom of the fence. This gave me a place to rest the panel or long board on when pushing it through the saw. I could setup up a roller support on the infeed side of the saw and place and rest the stock on the roller and this 6" x 6" platform before even turning the saw on. The 6 x 6 platform kept the stock (especially a piece of ply or mdf, etc.) from bowing down underneath the bottom of the extended fence.

I don't know if I explained that very well?

The rare occasion when I've needed a longer fence I just took my 6 foot aluminum level and clamped it to my existing fence. The level has openings in it which makes it easy to clamp.

Looks good, how about adding a piece under the extended part of the fence extension to support the workpiece?

Blog Entries
    That is slick! I use Grandads old 6' 6" level. I also use a partner board to straight line rip. I have a partner board that is 16 feet long. I have not used it in a few years.

IMG_0283 (2).jpg