Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeWalt 12 inch miter saw miter cuts are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I agree with a tablesaw sled.

However I’m curious. I have run into a number of occasions where I shoot board seems appropriate.

My question is how do you get exact length matching parts as to obtain perfectly square. All I can figure is count cut everything together with a scale on whatever saw them count your strokes. Or get one end good then like any other saw make or set a stop for and or on the shoot board..

I’m talking like exact as if off a machine calibrated properly. Not good enough for for exact..
    I suppose you could use stops on a shooting board. But mostly, once you are close, you just take a shaving or two and then compare the two pieces. If one is longer take a few more shavings on it. Your fingertips can tell a 0.001" difference in length. Each stroke is removing only a thou or two so it's not too difficult to get it right, just slow.

With mitersaws one thing to always check is the reference surfaces (table wings, center insert, and fence). If these are not flat/coplaner you cannot count on consistent results. Different size parts will behave differently with respect to the blade.

Miter saws may not be the ultimate in precision cutting but I think most can get considerably better than 25 thou out over a fairly small workpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Saiz right in the title “Dewalt 12” mitersaw”.....
    Or maybe I have lost my mind.

But if you wanna argue I got time today.
    Um, they make more than one. The one I have meets expectations for a “fine-woodworking-grade” crosscut, that rivals what you could expect from a decent table saw. That’s not something I’m going to argue, it’s an observed fact (and I probably have better measuring tools than you do. :^)

It’s up to you to “argue” that it’s impossible, and you can do so til you’re blue in the face, because it’s not. :^b

Yours in bemusement...

Quote Originally Posted by ABBEY thomas View Post
    When cutting 6 inch wide boards for a jewelry box, my miters are off almost 0.025 thousands. Replace trunion and pin to no avail.. Armature bearings are tight and can't figure whats wrong. Saw is set at 90 degrees ( motor unplugged) and slowly bring the arm down, it goes off about 0.06 degrees. Not good for miters.
    Dewalt says take to their repair shop. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks.
    I have a DW716. Cuts used to be way off before I squared it. Incidentally, I changed the blade today and resquared it. Well to the best of my ability, using a machinist square and feeler gauges.

Tried some 90° and 45° cuts and they came out pretty accurate. I would say 1/64" over 4". I don't expect it to do any better. Keeping the wood rock solid so that it does not creep during the cut is difficult. And then there is blade deflection towards end of cut. Or, some dust that gets trapped between wood and platform.

I prefer to tune up the cut using shooting board now. I find it simple compared to chasing the accuracy on the saw.

If not once in a while 4x4 and 2xX lumber, I would sell it off. Takes too much space and serves too little purpose, for me.