Thread: Looking for a new 4 1/2 inch angle grinder

Looking for a new 4 1/2 inch angle grinder

My old Metabo angle grinder seems to have taken legs, and I'm looking to replace it. When I go on line, I'm overwhelmed by the choices, so I'm wondering if I could get some good direction on which angle grinder to buy. I use it for cutting, with an .045 disc, as well as for grinding welds and shaping steel.
    Thanks for any help.

I have a metabo 6" electronic that I have loved for years. I'd hope their acquisition of Hitachi hasnt compromised their industrial line. Have two small 4" makitas that are fine and a dewalt. Recently needed a variable speed grinder and picked up the 5" bosch. I really love it especially the huge paddle switch on the body. Has a pesky safety flipper deal but I really like the grinder.

The Makita's I have and the Metabo have on-off switches which I dont like in the event the cord comes unplugged and you forget to flip the switch. Doesnt effect the metabo or the bosche as they are electronic.

I really love the bosch

Bought a reconditioned Bosch from CPO many years ago and have used it and used it and used it for welding, cutting stee, deburring .I think it was 30 bucks shipped.

Had B&D industrial for years, then added a DeWalt (same grinder, different color.) One of the B&D's gave up the ghost. Took it to B&D to have it repaired. Without looking, was told "No parts available." Came home, and looked up parts for B&D and DeWalt. Exact same parts, with two of needed three in stock at that service center. Other part available next day. Bought a couple of HF's $9.99 specials to replace the B&D. So far so good, but I do consider them "throw aways" just like my multi tool that lasted over ten years in every day use.

Dennis, I sure like my Metabo's (have 5), but my last purchase was an 18V cordless Makita. I leave it set up with a wire brush for removing the slag from welds, but you can put anything on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Metabo flat head grinders are nice for getting into narrower areas, but for cutting I prefer their standard model. This one isn't too expensive and works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-WP9-11...60&s=hi&sr=1-4

Hope this helps.

Scott

For $10 or under the harbor freight ones are okay. I would not run them continuous more then 10 minutes
    betweeen cooldowns.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    My old Metabo angle grinder seems to have taken legs, and I'm looking to replace it. When I go on line, I'm overwhelmed by the choices, so I'm wondering if I could get some good direction on which angle grinder to buy. I use it for cutting, with an .045 disc, as well as for grinding welds and shaping steel.
    Thanks for any help.
    Someone who buys Metabo doesn't need to be convinced to buy quality! I keep a number of 4.5" angle grinders set up for grinding, cutting disks, and wire several types of wire brushes in my little welding shop. I've had good service from Hatchi, Makita, Bosch, and even a couple of Dewalts (one cordless for out on the farm). I use these a lot for metalworking and haven't had any fail. (I know many people go for cheap and don't mind replacing but the last thing I want to do in the middle of a project is waste 1/2 a day going after a replacement regardless of how cheap it is.) I've never had a Metabo angle grinder but I'd certainly consider one based on my experience with a Metabo bench grinder.

JKJ

I personally have a Dewalt with a paddle switch which I like from a safety stand point. At work all we have are Metabo. If you use scotch-brite discs then I would suggest a varable speed one.