Thread: Cabot waterborne polyurethane replacement???

Cabot waterborne polyurethane replacement???

Need some help guys, my little construction company used many gallons of Cabot water base poly and I loved the stuff. Made us look like finishing geniuses. Always went on ugly but dried absolutely uniform and predictable. Didn't matter how the we slathered or sprayed it on, it just worked. always made the custom mill work look fantastic.

Now that Cabot was bought by Minwax (I think), that product has been discontinued. I've tried all the other easily available products in this area and I cannot find an acceptable substitute. I've now had to refinish a couple other brand trim package disasters so I need to figure this out. I'm hoping that the recipe was rebranded and is now available as something else. Anyone know? Follow up, anyone have a really foolproof alternative to recommend?

Hi Steve, sounds like you may have already tried this but I have had very good results with Varathane water based poly. Goes on easily and dries very consistently. But I am using it on small pieces so it may not work for your purposes. It is a little bit “cool” as many water based finishes are, but there are a variety of. ways to warm it up and the ones I have tried have worked well.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like a good time to go to the source. Minwax is at 1 (800) 523-9299. I would call them; keep it basic. Simply ask them if they are still marketing the Cabot product (a product number might help) under a different formulation. If they answer "no" I would make them aware that their replacement is not meeting your requirements. Suppliers cannot meet our needs if they don't know what they are.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dan, Varathane is one of the ones I tried several times. Actually used some on the last round of wide stained poplar jam extensions that we did. It wasn't horrible, but.... The extensions were (25) 1x12x16' poplar, stained to match other stuff, sheen was to match to. Simple with the good old cabot, one coat and everything is consistent and predictable. Not so with the replacement polys, there where blotches all over from inconsistent sheen. We ended up at 2 and 3 coats on most of it. It takes a couple guys a quite a few hours to run a lot like this, and to do it again isn't profitable.

We seem to be constantly doing these jobs, I probably need to upgrade the process to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This sounds like a good time to go to the source. Minwax is at 1 (800) 523-9299. I would call them; keep it basic. Simply ask them if they are still marketing the Cabot product (a product number might help) under a different formulation. If they answer "no" I would make them aware that their replacement is not meeting your requirements. Suppliers cannot meet our needs if they don't know what they are.
    Not a bad idea Glenn, I'll do that.

Steve, I've never used a WB that was one coat and done. The Cabot product you liked must have been a one of a kind.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Steve, I've never used a WB that was one coat and done. The Cabot product you liked must have been a one of a kind.

John
    Me neither until, I was shocked by its performance. FYI, this is on interior millwork, nothing furniture grade, or even cabinet grade. I would not expect one coat performance for anything more than the millwork.

We're usually matching some other product, usually with dyes and gel stains. Lots of work before the poly.

One word (actually 2) Target Coatings! love their finishes!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lemley View Post
    One word (actually 2) Target Coatings! love their finishes!

Jack
    The EM9300 or EM2000 might be worthy to try here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jack, Jim, I'll look into them. Who is a good supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Jack, Jim, I'll look into them. Who is a good supplier?
    They sell direct. https://www.targetcoatings.com/. Sign up for the mailings so you get the discount codes which are typically 25% or so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've used the Varathane Diamond floor finish and it seems to lay down nicely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute