Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Size of Wooden Mallet

Best Size of Wooden Mallet

I'm either going to buy or make a new wooden mallet.

What is the best weight for all-around use, but mostly for assembly and chisel work? I've seen both 16 oz. and 24 oz. models.

Second, is there an optimum handle length that works best for the above uses?

For many years I've used a cheap mallet; both light in weight and with a short handle. Just wondering if heavy and a longer handle would be more useful. I don't do hand dovetails, but do some chisel work where I need to.

Blog Entries
    Hi Randy, the type of work you will be doing will determine the mallet you will want to use. For tapping together a few pieces of wood or tapping a chisel, a light mallet will work fine.

If you are trying to chop a deep mortise, you will appreciate the 24 oz. model.

Remember it is less tiring and easier on the user to strike a light blow with a heavy mallet than it is to deliver a heavy blow with a light mallet.

For light tapping something like this is easy to make:

Two Tapping Mallets.jpg

The one on the left was made with hand tools out of oak from a pallet. The one on the right came from a piece of oak with the handle turned on a lathe.

Here is my first 'home made' mallet:

Mallet-Cherry.jpg

This one weighs in at about 24 oz. It has been in use for nine years and still going strong.

This one was made a few months ago:

Almost Finished.jpg

It also weighs in at around 24 oz.

Both serve well when chopping a mortise or offering some light persuasion.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-27-2020 at 1:06 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Get some white oak and make something that looks reasonable...
    I laminated mine from 4/4 stock (had this on-hand and easier than doing a through mortise).
    Made this way, it is a very quick project that will get you going and you'll learn what you like or dislike.
    Do chamfer the edges of the mallet; and shape the handle to something that feels comfortable.
    You can choke up on the handle to get better control, or hold further back for more power.

Oak isn't particularly dense, so this won't be a super heavy mallet.
    If you try this out and feel you want some more oomf, you can build another with denser wood.
    (purple heart would be the shop wood I'd try -- just make sure no splinters!)

Matt

I have used a 450 grams (16 oz) ball pein hammer "since always" as all my chisels are prepared to support metal hammer. With 300 mm (12 inches) handle I can place my hand along the handle and adjust the effect the hammer will have on the chisels. If you combine both, the intensity I can drive the hammer plus the placing of handling, I found a great range of stroke adjustment for all applications I had found up today.

Bottom line: I recommend 16 oz and 12 in handle.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I'm either going to buy or make a new wooden mallet.

What is the best weight for all-around use, but mostly for assembly and chisel work? I've seen both 16 oz. and 24 oz. models.

Second, is there an optimum handle length that works best for the above uses?

For many years I've used a cheap mallet; both light in weight and with a short handle. Just wondering if heavy and a longer handle would be more useful. I don't do hand dovetails, but do some chisel work where I need to.
    Randy, my advice is to purchase the Veritas Cabinetmaker’s mallet: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...tmakers-mallet

This has an 18 oz bronze head, and is compact rather than bulky. It is a great size for all chisels, bench, dovetail, and mortice.

Of course I ended up modifying mine, which is an illness of mine It works very well in original form, but I added a shaped handle and UHMW pads on the wooden faces ...

Really great allround mallet.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As a prototype/test project, I took a piece off red oak firewood, bandsawed it into a head, morticed a handle in, and started using it. I ended up liking it as is, so I never ended up making an "final" version. I'm not sure of the weight, probably somewhere between 12 and 16 ounces. I don't generally drive pigstickers with it, usually just my 750s and Two Cherries chisels.

IMG_7615.jpg

Hi Randy This subject came up a while back. I didn’t have an answer so I went and weighed my most often used hammers and mallets. To my surprise all were about the same weight and handle length. That goes for the mallets I made, store bought mallets like a Wood is Good, trim hammer, dead blow and even my favorite ball peen. They all weighed in close to 20oz. And handle about the same length. I have lots of hammers 95% is done with the 20oz ones. Pick your favorite and start there.

I also believe that size on both weight and length depends on the work to be done.

I have a shop made full size beech mallet (580grams total weight and 26cm long) for holdfasts pounding, mortise chisels and fast cutting with less detail.

But my fine work is done with shop made 400grams and 18cm long bronze head mallet with lighter and short strokes.

I used to grab my big one near the head and try lighter strokes for fine work but the wear on hand and wrist was bigger than an easy to swing mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Randy, my advice is to purchase the Veritas Cabinetmaker’s mallet: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...tmakers-mallet

This has an 18 oz bronze head, and is compact rather than bulky. It is a great size for all chisels, bench, dovetail, and mortice.

Of course I ended up modifying mine, which is an illness of mine It works very well in original form, but I added a shaped handle and UHMW pads on the wooden faces ...

Really great allround mallet.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    This does seem to be a good option. Maybe I could mount leather on one face for assembly. Certainly a good price.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 06-28-2020 at 6:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Veritas Cabinetmaker’s mallet is also my go-to. I have a 16oz wooden one, I added a pair of 2oz fishing weights to it and used it for many years. the smaller but weighty heads of my brass mallets get used but, for general mallet work, the Veritas gets the lion's share of the work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Whether wood or metal or a combination. Head density is the key. Best of luck.

Impressive handmade mallets jtk!!

I decided to go with Derek's suggestion above; the Lee Valley metal mallet with wooden faces. It seems to be a good compromise and relatively inexpensive. I may glue some leather to one face for assembly. I guess I'll see whether it works for me and then go from there if not. I could have made one, I'm sure, but I'm into a couple of other projects right now and didn't want to take the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Impressive handmade mallets jtk!!
    Thanks for the compliment Will.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Making mallets is fun and easy. I use a wide range of sizes and weights.
    Heap o hammers.jpg