Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Festool Sander

Which Festool Sander

Recently, made the mistake of using someone's Festool sander. It was just for a moment but the time has come to spend a lot of money so I can reduce my aversion to sanding. The problem -- the alpha numeric soup of model numbers and fancy features like "Jetstream 2 Dust Extraction" makes determining which sander to choose difficult. My criteria are simple:

5" diameter -- I think that equates to a "125" model
    Versatile
    One handed model perferred but this may just my comfort with traditional ROS
    Only needed for raw wood sanding -- I don't refinish furniture.

My best guess is the Multi Mode Rotex RO FEQ 125 Plus.

Also is there an inexpensive adapter for dust collection to a traditional shop vac? Since my wife hates shopping I will ask her to buy a dust extractor at Christmas.

I know your knowledge and reviews are better than a website trying to sell me a product so any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Recently, made the mistake of using someone's Festool sander. It was just for a moment but the time has come to spend a lot of money so I can reduce my aversion to sanding. The problem -- the alpha numeric soup of model numbers and fancy features like "Jetstream 2 Dust Extraction" makes determining which sander to choose difficult. My criteria are simple:

Versatile

Also is there an inexpensive adapter for dust collection to a traditional shop vac? Since my wife hates shopping I will ask her to buy a dust extractor at Christmas.
    If you don’t need the refinishing stuff, then go with the NON-Rotex sanders, they’re better balanced and lighter, and IMO perform better for finish sanding (I have them all.)

I would not get the Rotex 125 unless you need to sand aggressively. It can be hard to control.

For true finish sanding, I would recommend either the ETS series or the ETS EC series. The ETS models are better balanced in my opinion but the newer ETS EC models have more power. 3mm or 5mm stroke is personal preference if you are only choosing one sander and depends on what grit you plan to start with and end with. I have both and use the 5mm for 80 to 120 and the 3mm for all grits above that. (By the way, some people have reported that the ETS EC 125 will also accept the 150mm pad but that won't work with any of the other models.)

Do not be fooled by the battery models if you will be working in a shop. You still need a vac hose attached for good dust control so it's not really cordless.

You will need a variable suction vacuum because these sanders require very little suction to work properly. Too much suction will pull them down and create undesirable results. It does not need to be a Festool vac. I started with an older Fein Turbo II before getting a Festool CT 36. Flex makes some excellent vacuums (made by Nilfisk) that are competitively priced.

My advice is to find a Festool dealer and test drive the different models. They have a 30 day return policy so you can always change your mind (but not many people do).

By the way, I currently have six Festool sanders. It's a system (and a sickness).
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 06-27-2020 at 1:20 AM.

I have a Rotex 125 and two ETS 125 battery powered sanders.

I reach for the ETS units about 95% of the time. If I'm only sanding the piece for a minute or so, the ETS units get used with the little dust bag, totally cord and hose free. Those little dust bags catch an amazing amount of fine sawdust.

Having two batteries, the batteries charge faster than elapsed use time, so I always have a fresh battery as long as I start charging as soon as it dies.

I went with the 125mm (5") to maintain consistency across my various sanders.

The Rotex is great when you need to remove a lot of material quickly or for hard surfaces so as end grain cutting boards.

Although the ETS sanders don't have the muscle of the Rotex, going through the grits, and how quickly the grits are tp change, you can still help minimize sanding.

But of the three Festool sanders I own, the Rotex probably would be the third one I'd buy if buying them again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post

Versatile

I know your knowledge and reviews are better than a website trying to sell me a product so any advice is appreciated.
    For raw wood sanding definitely Rotex, however I would suggest to go with the 6” model or ro150. Much easier to handle and much more efficient due to extra coverage. With most Festool sanders you will need active DC, lighter models like Dts400 and batter powered units can use a bag.

Rotex is primarily for heavier work where the rotary mode can remove stock quickly, for shaping or for non-woodworking things like restoring metal things. It's also a two-handed tool much of the time because that's necessary for heavy work and affects the balance. If I were buying one of the 125mm sanders, it would most likely be the brushless version. It's actually on my acquisition list because I'm finding some needs for a smaller sander sometimes in my paid work as well as my guitar building and I currently use the 150mm versions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I started out with the Rotex 125. It is a great sander especially for rough sanding. I also used it extensively for finish sanding. As my hands aren’t what they used too be. I recently bought the ETS 125 which has become my go to sander. Yes I still use the Rotex on projects.

I use the con tech vacuum hose on my shop vac. I don’t see that I am losing anything by not having a Festool system. The con tech comes with an adapter that fits festool tools. There is also an adjustable opening on it. I tend to use it with it half open. Here is a link to it on amazon.

Cen-Tec Systems 94192 16 Ft. Hose for Home and Shop Vacuums with Multi-Brand Power Tool Adapter for Dust Collection, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZZZ5ZL..._Bf29EbQ7G6FGC
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I own several Festool sanders, the ETS125, ETS150, and a Rotex 125 among them. If you are only doing finish sanding on bare wood in preparation for final finishing of a project, I would recommend one of the ETS sanders. The 125 is probably most useful but I use the 150 with a hard pad if I am sanding a larger flat surface. I have never been dissatisfied with the results and the dust collection is very close to 100%. The ETS125 is more sensitive to higher suction so I always sand at the lower setting on my Festool vac when using the ETS125. I feel that the ETS sanders do a much better job than the Rotex sanders (in RO mode) for finishing. The only reason I feel the brushless version might be better for would be that the 125 in this model has a lower profile which would help stabilize the sander but, other than that, I think the other, less expensive, version is sufficient (but then I am a woodoworker only when I want to be as I don't make a living at it).

I also own a DTS400. Because of the delta pad I can get in corners when needed and the 400 does an excellent job overall. I think it gives a smoother surface than the ETS sanders do.

You can certainly use any vac with the sanders, but the Festool vacs allow dialing down the suction which, for sanding with all but the Rotex sanders, is generally recommended.

I own three Festool sanders.

I first got a ETS 125. Wasn't too expensive. Worked well. With a 2mm stroke, very nice for finish sanding.

I next added the ROTEX RO 90. Nice for smaller boards and it has a delta pad to get into tight corners. I also got a soft pad for it that was nice sanding the sides of a live edge slab.

More recently I got the ETS EC 125/3. It's more powerful than the ETS 125 and has a 3mm stroke. Used the same size paper as the ETS 125. I have been told that the 150 mm (6") pads will also work on it.

My goto sander is the ETS EC 125/3. I only use the ETS 125 for the last pass of fine sanding. The RO 90 gets used where the smaller size is appropriate.

Hope this is helpful.

FYI - Festool's annual Spring price increase was delayed by Covid-19 but goes into effect on July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    FYI - Festool's annual Spring price increase was delayed by Covid-19 but goes into effect on July 1st.
    Isn’t that sick. Price increases as a sales tactic during a pandemic. Is there no sense of shame there, or is it just a complete disconnection from reality.

Festool delayed their spring price increase by a few months due to the Pandemic. They didn't use COVID-19 as a sales tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Isn’t that sick. Price increases as a sales tactic during a pandemic. Is there no sense of shame there, or is it just a complete disconnection from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    Festool delayed their spring price increase by a few months due to the Pandemic. They didn't use COVID-19 as a sales tactic.
    They ALWAYS use the price increase as a sales tactic. And they're still doing it even now. So your point about their insensitivity is...?

I guess that using your logic any company that has a price increase is being insensitive. Why single out Festool?

I think that I should point out that the only Festool products that I own are two clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    They ALWAYS use the price increase as a sales tactic. And they're still doing it even now. So your point about their insensitivity is...?

I have the ETS 125 sander and for $400 it is well worth the investment IMO. Since I have a drum sander, I've rarely a need for heavy duty sanders like the Rotex.