Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Theme?

Dark Theme?

Is there a way to enable a Dark Mode/Theme for the forum? Definitely prefer a dark theme when I'm reading at night.
    I only see one style option (well, two, a regular and a mobile one).

The vBulletin software doesn't provide individuals with an optional viewing mode. We can change the colors but the last time we did that the majority here complained big time.

While it's possible to have multiple "themes" with VB, there are definitely issues that come from i including subjective color choices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Have you tried night mode on your computer?

Select Start > Settings > System > Display > Night light settings. If your night light toggle above the link is grayed out, you may need to update your display driver. See Update drivers in Windows 10.
    Under Schedule, toggle Schedule night light to On. Then, either select Sunset to sunrise, or select Set hours and enter custom times for the night light to turn on and off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Please don't force dark mode on us. No objections to it existing as a choice, but the fashionistas have too often declared that these days we must read gray type on a dark background. It just doesn't work for some of us.

I'm in agreement with that Roger...I can't use it on my computers at all. But in an ideal world it would be an option. I'm not sure that the resources are available to put that kind of thing in place right now. I'd personally like to see the Xenforo migration happen before any effort was put into VB at this point, especially since it's the same resource that has to do the work.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Have you tried night mode on your computer?
    Yes, thanks. I already do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd personally like to see the Xenforo migration happen before any effort was put into VB at this point,
    Agreed. vbulletin is pretty long in the tooth. Though granted, I don't know anything about Xenforo or what makes it better. (But if it can correctly orient uploaded images, I'm all for it).
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-29-2020 at 8:33 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Not only does XenForo with with images as one might expect, it supports mobile devices natively and has some other nice features. We will hopefully get there at some point...
    --

Blog Entries
    I would gladly up my yearly contribution for that upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    2nd that Frank
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post

Yes. Do we need a crowdfunding to make this happen? Or contribution goal from the membership. I'd happily slap down some dough to get this done like yesterday.

I purchased the software over a year ago. The problem is our server administrator's schedule has been impossible for a very long time. Jackie and I are trying to get this done, we remind Aaron every month that we need to get the software change completed ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I purchased the software over a year ago. The problem is our server administrator's schedule has been impossible for a very long time. Jackie and I are trying to get this done, we remind Aaron every month that we need to get the software change completed ASAP.
    Keith, does Aaron have to be the person that does it? If not, maybe contributors could raise enough money to hire one of his students to do the job? Just an idea anyway.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I expect the software upgrade could be done by anyone with the appropriate experience and level of access. Some might take longer then others, some administrators customize their machines often to tighten up security. Aaron is a programmer, his expertise goes well beyond the average administrator and even I don't know how our security is setup. It's dangerous for me to log into our server, I have made terrible mistakes in the past