Thread: A Walk-about..

A Walk-about..

Well, at least I didn't fall flat on the sidewalk, THIS time, around...I went downtown, to visit a couple Antique Shops...3 blocks each way. By the time I got back home..I was $9 and change poorer

Last time I saw this brace..
    Walk about, .JPG
    He wanted $10 just for the brace. I Paid $9.65 counting Tax...for the brace AND 3 bits.

Then walk back home, and clean things up...
    Walk about, clean bits.JPG

These two were just $2, for the pair...Top one is a Russel Jennings, #9...the other is a James Swan #5-1/2 ( 3/8")

Unable to find a name on either the brace or the #6 bit
    Walk about drill.jpg
    I managed to get the thumbscrew off, and clean everything up.... a drop of oil where needed.
    Walk about , cleaned up.JPG
    Had a better day walking, than I did driving to a few yard sales.....looking for info on the brace, now.

While I doubt J. Fray put that apple shaped head on this brace.....he just might have made that chuck....

Bolt looks almost like a carriage bolt..known as a Stove Bolt? Square between the threads and the head of the bolt..is a TIGHT fit into a tapered square opening. All you have to worry about, is not to lose the wing nut,

Inside the top of the "apple" there is a hex headed bolt.....holding a washer in place. Was squeaking a bit, until a couple drops of 3in1 oil arrived....no squeaks heard, now. I could wander back to the shop, for a couple pictures of the inside of the chuck..IF anyone wants...

Going to go look up a James Swan bit size....5-1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    While I doubt J. Fray put that apple shaped head on this brace.....he just might have made that chuck....

Bolt looks almost like a carriage bolt..known as a Stove Bolt? Square between the threads and the head of the bolt..is a TIGHT fit into a tapered square opening. All you have to worry about, is not to lose the wing nut,

Inside the top of the "apple" there is a hex headed bolt.....holding a washer in place. Was squeaking a bit, until a couple drops of 3in1 oil arrived....no squeaks heard, now. I could wander back to the shop, for a couple pictures of the inside of the chuck..IF anyone wants...

Going to go look up a James Swan bit size....5-1/2?
    Of course we want!

OK...be careful what you ask for...
    Walk about drill, vise marks.JPG
    These markings are from a vise...and a matching set is on the other side...
    Walk about drill, chuck details 2.JPG
    There is a set of grooves, where the chuck got pressed on....keeps it from spinning around...
    Walk about drill, chuck details 1.JPG
    Rotate one half around, to show the inside groove the fits the tapered, square end of a bit...
    Walk about drill, handle details.JPG
    Handle is held in place with washers, rubbing against spots that seem to be pinched by machine....same as in the head..
    Walk about drill, knob detail 2.JPG
    I imagine this was done first, then the knob slid into place....
    Walk about drill, knob detail 1.JPG
    Add another washer, then crimp in place...Knob does have a wood grain effect...not sure IF it is wood....wrist handle IS a dark coloured wood, though...

Meh..might be alright, for $7?

Good finds...

Happen to know WHERE a very nice $10 egg beater drill is....with a tight knob on it's hollow handle....Might be either a Stanley, Millers Falls or a Goodell-Pratt....didn't have the spare ten spot on me....

Well, instead of a Walk-about ( too bleeding HOT, today) I did a drive about.....4 blocks. And, for $10 + tax...
    Red Head drill, front.JPG
    This came home with me...Red Head Mfg, of New York,USA....model #110
    Red Head drill, back.JPG
    had one issue...
    Red Head drill, chuck.JPG
    The chuck. Only had 2 out of 3 jaws, and NO springs....

Have since replaced the chuck, and cleaned things up. 3in1 oil where needed.....even got the handle on the crank loosened up enough to work. Needs a coat of black paint where missing, and a coat of red paint on the gear wheel. Might even look like new.....maybe. Cap on the hollow handle is in great shape! Just wasn't any drill bits inside. Not a biggie, I am sure I have a few bits in a drawer...somewhere.

Will post "After" photos, once the paint is done....IF anyone wants.

I am doing these Walk-abouts for now, as I am on Vacation from the woodshop. taking a bit of a break, this month. Just sitting back, and looking for ways to use up the scraps I have on hand.

Might be a week or two....we'll see...

The good news?

Saws that were at the sharpening service, have returned to the shop....Disston D-100 (wood handle version) Disston No. 4 ( 14", 9ppi), Disston No.68....and my home-built 9ppi frame saw....all sharp and ready for work, again.....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-02-2020 at 7:13 PM.