Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions - Curved tool rests versus "j" curved tool rest for bowlls

I prefer a shaped rest for any bowl. but the straight rests work on platter type shapes. I did see some one, can't remember who, when he turned the bottom of a shallow bowl would 'reverse' the straight tool rest, so instead of pointing inwards from the turner to the center of the bowl, it pointed inwards from the transition area of the bowl to the side away from the turner. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Using a straight rest on shallow bowls generally has the rest at an awkward angle for going from the transition area towards the center of the bowl.

robo hippy

I have the Robust curved tool rest and find it very useful when turning large bowls. I do not have a J rest (yet) but do think it also would be great for the right applications.

Kyle asked why a curved rest and no one answered. The reason is to reduce the amount the tool is projected over the tool rest. For example on the inside of a 12" bowl, with a straight rest that is near the wood at the rim and in the center, the tool reset might be 3" from the wood down in the "corner" of the bowl, and your tool is projected even more when your tool is at an angle to the tool rest as you round the bend. With a straight rest, not only does the long projection give the cutting edge better mechanical advantage on you, but as you move from rim to to corner and on to the center, you have to change the amount of projection of the tool quite a bit.

With a curved rest (J or even radius) your tool support is closer to the cutting edge. However, you still have to change the projection some unless the inside of the bowl just happens to match the curve of the rest perfectly (exceedingly rare). Having your tool support close to the cutting edge is particularly important if you're scraping, though I gave that up in favor of a 5/8" U flute bowl gouge that isn't ground back very far on the wings. For me, a better cut and no catch tendencies.

I bought the larger Robust inside bowl curved rest. I use it sparingly, and only on wide deep bowls where the projection over a straight rest would be really large. I also fight having the back of the rest interfering with the tool. I bought it thinking it was going to change my life. It did not. OK as a specialty tool, but I don't use it often.

Best,

Dave

thanks Dave for replying to Kyle's question. I've been away from my computer for awhile.

Keep the comments/recommendations comping as I'm sure it will also help others

Ricc.

I find the curved rests useless for me and my style of turning. I just purchased a J rest from RoboHippy and like it much better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I find the curved rests useless for me and my style of turning. I just purchased a J rest from RoboHippy and like it much better.

John, I was going to buy a "J" rest from him a couple weeks ago but his website says he's out of stock for the medium rest for 20" or larger lathes. Supposedly they will be back in stock sometime in August 2020. Hope so.

Ricc

I found that my 12" tool rest is too long when working on smaller items held between centers, especially when using a chuck. My 9" Robust is my goto tool rest but there are times when I wish I had a 6".

So many tools, so little money.

I got the medium robo j-rest for my jet 1640 and it is most excellent. I have the 5/8th robust j-rest for my jet 1221 and I prefer the less acute curve of robo's much better. And the back-end re-curve is really nice for pivoting to work the rim. It is every bit as solid as the robust rests, which I have the 6 and 9 low profile for the 1640 as well.

Tom