Thread: Target coatings Universal Sanding Sealer over shellac?

Target coatings Universal Sanding Sealer over shellac?

I'm looking for some advice, again. First time using the Target coatings products - I have the EM1000 (Universal Sanding Sealer) and EM8000CV (Conversion Varnish).

My project is some cherry tables that I will dye, then use a waterbased stain on. Typically, in the past, I would then seal the stain with a 1/2lb cut of shellac sprayed on.

Here's my question - being that I am going to use the EM1000, can I skip the shellac sealer? Or, should I still use it then proceed with the sealer over the shellac?

Thanks again

Both should seal the dye and stain so I see no benefit of using them together. TC says not to use genuine shellac under their products, so if you follow that advise you would only use their EM1000.

John

Thanks John. I had not seen that about not using shellac with TC products. It's kinda funny because I believe they sell their own shellac to use as a sealer. Sometimes I wonder if they say those things so you will only use their products.

If you are spraying the sealer, no problem. But in the same vein, you theoretically can put the EM8000cv right over the dried dye, too. The EM1000 has a little more build if that's needed to smooth things out initially, however.

I'm using the EM1000 more and more because of my guitar work and I really like it. It's not just a sealer product, but is also very good as a medium for tinting/toning. I just bought a gallon of it with a recent sale code.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Good to know.

Have you had any issues with the finish or sealer reactivating wb stain or dye? I kinda like having a little sealer on there before I spray a wet coat of topcoat. Just how I was taught. Ive come to learn how much shellac I am spraying to seal vs coat. Ill have to figure that out with the TC sealer.

Most likely, the dye you used is water soluble and may also be alcohol soluble. Therefore, yes, it can be "reactivated", per se, which is why you want to be spraying that sealing coat over it, not brushing it. So since you're spraying, no worries. THat said...ALWAYS do the complete finish regimen on scrap of the same material you are using in your project. ALWAYS. Did I happen to mention to ALWAYS do this? No? ALWAYS test before committing to the project.

BTW, wiping oil followed by wax-free shellac is fine, however, in my experience.
    --

Jim,

I went with the EM1000 sealer over the dye/stain combination I had - two coats, then put the EM8000CV over that. It worked out great. Thanks for the help.

Glad it worked out for you!
    --