Thread: Stretcher

Stretcher

My wife and I are replacing the fabric in patio chairs. There is a spline that runs down each side into a seam that is folded over to insert it into. These go down a channel on each side of the chair.
    Then the spreader bars are to be inserted in the lower back to make it all very tight.
    I could rent the spreader tool form the fabric supplier for $25.00. I would also be interested of any other solutions. It would take a Gorilla to spread the sides. The supplier is out of state and it took ages just to get the fabric.
    Thank you.

Many bar clamps can be reversed to work as spreaders. You should use some type of caul so you do not dent/bend the work. that may be hard to do and still allow access to install what need to go in.
    Or you could build a frame of 2x lumber and pull the metal apart with clamps. Not enough clamps? pull it in sections and screw in some blocks to hold it while you reposition the clamps.
    Bill D

Do a search for painting canvass stretcher and see how artists do it with wedges.
    Bil lD

I have similar outdoor chairs and replaced the fabrics a few years ago. As Bill suggested, my Irwin clamps reverse and worked perfectly to spread the back apart.