Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a ceiling mounted air cleaner help with coronavirus?

Blog Entries

Would a ceiling mounted air cleaner help with coronavirus?

My daughter is on the board of our local preschool. They are trying to figure out how to open next school year. Getting 2 year olds to wear masks is obviously a big deal so they are trying to think up other things to do.

Another approach is to filter the ambient air. Say we have a room that’s 20’x30’x10’ high so 6000 cubic feet. Jet air cleaner ads-1000 moves over 1000cfm so 10 changes per hour. As sold, these things filter to 1 micron.

The actual virus is much smaller but the virus travels in a droplet that should be caught. I have some non-woven polypropylene used in n-95 masks and could are a pre filter from that.

thoughts?

Highly doubtful. Someone asked the same question a while back.

Spread of the virus is droplets from speech or sneezes/coughs and close contact, so an air filter on the ceiling won’t catch that.

Blog Entries
    I did a fair bit of reading on just this subject. The virus is small enough to pass, but a virus on it's own won't last long. Airborn, they are almost always in droplets that they were breathed, sneezed, or coughed out with. They can travel a fair distance. Those droplets are caught by HEPA filters. So yes, HEPA filtration will help, the more, the better. Don't bother with anything less than HEPA though. That 1 micron stuff wouldn't do much.

Big Ass Fans just announced a UV option for some of their fans. It is aimed up from the fan so it won't fry people's eyeballs.

Might be interesting to find out what size a HEPA filter screens.
    I was given to understand HEPA will filter to 3 microns, and the Covid-19 virus is closer to 1 micron.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    I hunted around yesterday to see what hepa would do. It’s around a half micron. For what it’s worth one source said hepa is equal to 17-20 on the MERV scale.

Blog Entries
    Went to the dentist office yesterday. Big changes. One of them was that each treatment room now has a "Hospital Grade" floor mounted recirculating HEPA filter.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    HEPA is 99.97% of particles down to .3​ microns.

An interesting thing about particles that are smaller than that is that a HEPA filter will still catch most of them because they are so light that they are subject to Brownian motion. The particles zig-zag around so much as they pass into the media that they bump into it & get stuck.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 06-26-2020 at 9:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    HEPA is 99.97% of particles down to .3​ microns.

An interesting thing about particles that are smaller than that is that a HEPA filter will still catch most of them because they are so light that they are subject to Brownian motion. The particles zig-zag around so much as they pass into the media that they bump into it & get stuck.
    HA! I was just about to post about diffusion capture when you're edit showed up. Glad you added that.

But, since I gathered some stuff for the post I guess I'll show it anyway.

An interesting chart:

HEPA Efficiency.jpg

That chart is from here.

This for even more as well as an introduction to Most Penetrating Particle Size (MPPS).

Also, the size of the COVID-19 virus particle is usually reported as 0.12 micron.
    Last edited by David L Morse; 06-26-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: add virus size
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

My dentist has a small portable box fan air cleaner in the waiting room. It has a filter and a internal uv light. I am not sure if it is better to have calm air and let the virus settle and die or to kick the air around with a fan and try to filter it before you breathe it. A lot of air motion will keep it airborne longer.
    Bil lD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    HA! I was just about to post about diffusion capture when you're edit showed up. Glad you added that.

But, since I gathered some stuff for the post I guess I'll show it anyway.

An interesting chart:

HEPA Efficiency.jpg

That chart is from here.

This for even more as well as an introduction to Most Penetrating Particle Size (MPPS).

Also, the size of the COVID-19 virus particle is usually reported as 0.12 micron.
    Thanks for posting that David. I hadn't seen the graph before & it illustrates very well.

As I understand it (meaning, I may be wrong ) - covid-19 isn't airborne enough, I assume because it's expelled wet. So if a hepa filter would work, you'd want it low, NOT on the ceiling.

And back in May I read this article below about a guy who's working on a portable virus detector. I found it very interesting as it seems very do-able. I've seen or heard nothing more of this since. Give it a read...

https://www.ksl.com/article/46750908...-covid-19-test
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

"As I understand it (meaning, I may be wrong ) - covid-19 isn't airborne enough, I assume because it's expelled wet. So if a hepa filter would work, you'd want it low, NOT on the ceiling. "

I saw a report that explained how several (8?) occupants in a restaurant contracted covid because 2 infected people were sitting near the hvac supply duct/register, it seems their droplets were carried via airflow to 3-4? tables downstream and those folks got covid.

Maybe not on the ceiling but how about under a raised floor?, like a big sanding station, it might draw the droplets down before they can go lateral as normal? Probably not practical though, cleaning under the floor would probably be a difficult, and dangerous for those wearing pointy high heeled shoes

Last edited by Mike Soaper; 06-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    I wondered about the raised floor idea. Computer rooms have raised floors so they can direct cooling air.

Funny story. On of our operations guys kept disappearing during his shift. Turned out he was slipping under the raised floor from time to time for a quick nap. I had been around for quite some time. I thought it was only justice that I didn't tell him that the place where he napped was where the raw sewage backed up.

sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 06-30-2020 at 9:18 PM. Reason: duplicate post

I think if the ceiling also had similar overhead perforated supplies it would help the airflow in the room to be mostly downward vertical (kind of laminar) perhaps causing less lateral spread of covid etc, Once under the perforated floor the air could be ducted to a filter before being sent back to the ceiling supplies and then back into the room. I think balancing the airflow so that all areas get equal airflow would be a challenge.

I probably wouldn't have told that operator either. I once had a small divisional server room with 4 server racks, shared with telco and a network rack. I once found one of the network guys catching a nap there.

About the nastiest IT site I saw was before upgrading a Polycom video conference system. The equipment to be replaced was in a conference room desk high cabinet with a vent cut in the top for cooling. The cabinet top had become a place for food and drink, the cooling slot had became a place for spilled food to go and was sometime taken as a trash receptacle, all of that was found by mice which caused quite the mess.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 06-30-2020 at 10:46 PM.