Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Guitar Build Nearing Completion

Another Guitar Build Nearing Completion

A member of the TDPRI forum (Telecaster and related primary focus forum) put together a "Brotherhood Build" event which encouraged participants to do a new build within 90 days of start, ostensibly using stuff on hand where possible, but not required. There have been some amazing guitar builds, mostly electrics, but some acoustic instruments, too. This one was my "entry" and has koa caps front and back with a sapele neck and and Indian Rosewood fretboard. Finish is Target Coatings EM6000 finished out with MicroMesh to 12000. I chose not to buff this body. While there is still some setup work to do for intonation, etc., this is otherwise pretty much done. BTW, the koa was ~25" thick strips in the $2 a pound bin at Hearne Hardwoods...IE, the leftovers from their cutting of premo instrument sets. That sapwood drew me in big-time!

IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7812.jpg

The design is somewhat based on the Music Man Albert Lee instrument with my headstock design. This was my original sketch before working it out in Aspire and cutting on the CNC:

MM-Lee-JB.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great build, Jim! And yes, the sapwood really looks nice in that Koa cap. How's it sound?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Looks great. I had not seen that body style before.

Really niceJim. I like the wood choices
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    How's it sound?
    I've only done electrics check so far and haven't plugged it in yet strung. But I suspect it will sound fine...those GFS "Dream 180" humbuckers are supposedly a little hotter so I suspect this will be a good "rocker". My one worry with this one is neck-dive...the body came in extra light at 3.18 lbs prior to finishing. For some reason, the clear pine core was lighter than I expected and given it's hollowed...it's even lighter.
    --

Completion photos for this build. I have a little more minor intonation work to complete, but this one is done.

IMG_7900.jpg IMG_7901.jpg IMG_7903.jpg. IMG_7904.jpg IMG_7902.jpg
    --

Nice! You're really cranking them out - are you selling any or stock piling them?

David
    David

What I've built so far are essentially prototypes, but if someone wanted to buy them, no question I'd entertain the idea. I'm serious considering offering at least some bodies as I have a bunch of interesting ideas there. Time will tell...and if I go that route, I'm not interested in selling for pennies. It's the same issue I have with the stuff I have on ETSY now...priced appropriately for the time and quality, IMHO, but too many folks give stuff away. Not worth my time and material cost to head in that direction as I'd make the same amount not selling at all, accounting for time, etc.
    --

Well understood, Jim.

A couple of years ago the laser and trophy shop for which I do work called and asked me to drive over to give someone a quote on a job. Normally they just send me a sketch and we go from there but in this case the customer was on site and wanted to visit with 'their woodworker'.

When I got there they guy asked right off the bat, "Can I get this done for $35?" Without blinking I told him that we used $35 just for me driving over to meet with him. After he picked his jaw up off the floor, and the trophy shop guys walked out to stifle their laughter, the customer showed me in detail what he wanted and I quoted $275. Without any hesitation he said to build it because he really wanted what we had discussed.

Sometimes you've just got to stick to your guns on pricing!

David
    David

Yea, and that's what I've done with my ETSY stuff. Same with my tack trunks...folks who want something for $300 instead of $800 are kindly but firmly turned down. Sometimes you need to know when to "fire the customer"...
    --

Looks great, Jim. Nice choice of woods and lucky you for the “bin” pricing. Just curious if you considered a pick guard, or are those not in vogue these days.

I was at a craft show this last weekend and a gentlemen was selling child size picnic tables. While I’m sure he bangs them out production style, his pricing, in my mind, barely covered the cost of the wood. I told him he should charge more, and he quickly indicated people won’t pay what my time is worth. As David said, stick to your guns...after all, it’s not how most of us make a living.

Thanks, Phil. Pick guards are part of some designs and not of others. For instruments with "special" wood, I'll always try to avoid them and if necessary because it's a "player", do a clear accommodation if that will work or get further creative to solve the challenge.
    --

Nice work Jim. I am amazed at how truly few people out understand quality and value. I am fairly frugal but will always pay up for quality.

Your work is beautiful and should be priced appropriately.

Thanks, John. I didn't build these to be sold, although that could eventually happen. No matter what I'm making in a project, I do try to do my best.
    --

When I was looking into building my first guitar, I was warned one of two things would happen - either it would be the last guitar I ever built or I would get the bug and keep building.

Looks like you got the bug, Jim. I can't open your pics but I'm sure your work is perfection personified.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain