Thread: Another Guitar Build Nearing Completion

Another Guitar Build Nearing Completion

A member of the TDPRI forum (Telecaster and related primary focus forum) put together a "Brotherhood Build" event which encouraged participants to do a new build within 90 days of start, ostensibly using stuff on hand where possible, but not required. There have been some amazing guitar builds, mostly electrics, but some acoustic instruments, too. This one was my "entry" and has koa caps front and back with a sapele neck and and Indian Rosewood fretboard. Finish is Target Coatings EM6000 finished out with MicroMesh to 12000. I chose not to buff this body. While there is still some setup work to do for intonation, etc., this is otherwise pretty much done. BTW, the koa was ~25" thick strips in the $2 a pound bin at Hearne Hardwoods...IE, the leftovers from their cutting of premo instrument sets. That sapwood drew me in big-time!

IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7812.jpg

The design is somewhat based on the Music Man Albert Lee instrument with my headstock design. This was my original sketch before working it out in Aspire and cutting on the CNC:

MM-Lee-JB.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great build, Jim! And yes, the sapwood really looks nice in that Koa cap. How's it sound?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Looks great. I had not seen that body style before.

Really niceJim. I like the wood choices
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    How's it sound?
    I've only done electrics check so far and haven't plugged it in yet strung. But I suspect it will sound fine...those GFS "Dream 180" humbuckers are supposedly a little hotter so I suspect this will be a good "rocker". My one worry with this one is neck-dive...the body came in extra light at 3.18 lbs prior to finishing. For some reason, the clear pine core was lighter than I expected and given it's hollowed...it's even lighter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...